Yet another Lily

nuttiwebgal

Today the Lily arrived! I am very excited about this house.

I am going to give it to my Doctor and her 3 yr old daughter.

something they can enjoy together.

first impression......aaaaaccckkkk no pictures???

lol

I have been looking forward to building this house for awhile.

tonight I will dry fit it and let it talk to me.

and since it has siding included I guess I will give it a go. :o

whats the worst that could happen?.....I have to rip it off and use textured paint on it? ;)

this house is sooo kewl!

now to go clean off my work tables from the swaps.

nutti :)

<bounding into the room like a puppy> You got a Lily!!! Woooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo!! Oh, you are going to *SO* love building that house! How did the dry fit go? Did it talk to you? I'm telling ya, it's the chattiest house I've met so far, but it's really a delight to build. (Just sweet talk it.........trust me, it works) :)

first impression......aaaaaccckkkk no pictures???

That was kinda my reaction too. :o But Peggi has some wonderful pictures in her gallery that *really* helped me thru the tricky parts. I've taken tons of pictures of mine too. Most are in my album, but if you want to see something that isn't there, let me know. I've probably got a shot of almost everything in my editing folder.

I can't wait to see what you do with this house! It's got so much character and the floor plan is just really fun to work with.

<happy dancing> So, what did you find out with your conversation with it tonight? Did it tell you what it wants to be? What plans do you have so far? Can you tell I'm excited for you? ;)

Deb

lol

well she wants to be ellegant

and pale pink

we really like the colors on the box.

and I was going to side it but I really like grammpax(sp)

house with the painted on tissue. I dont think Im brave enough for the siding!

all the floors will be stained. and I have the paper for the 2nd floor bedroom and hallway. I was going to electrify but I dont think I will.

I really like your house and hope mine turns out as well.

tomorrow I have to make a trip to Wal-marts and get the stain.....maybe cherry

I really like cherry. I love the wood work in this house! and the bookshelves

looking forward to doing the stairs.

so thats where I am tonight. oh and all the main parts are taped together so I can see what goes where.

it is a beautiful house!

nutti :o

Oooooooooooohhhh! That sounds lovely and so elegant and gracious! Cherry wood and that bookcase would be to die for and with a pale pink color scheme, it would just glow! You go girl!!

(Have you noticed that the Lily has to be a "she" and not an "it"? And it's not the name either.........she's just a very feminine house)

Deb

I agree with everthing Deb has said about the Lily it is a very chatty house. Just be careful with the center partition and 2 floor that is where mine snapped in half on me and Iam still fiddling with a way to get it back together so the floor will fit right. I cant wait to see your pictures of your Lily.

:o

lol

and I was going to side it but I really like grammpax(sp)

house with the painted on tissue.  I dont think Im brave enough for the siding!

nutti :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And why not? It's easy! Hey, if I can do it, you can too! Just draw you some lines, and put the siding on using the lines! I did it for the first time all by myself on the Emerson Row, and I'm shocked at how easy it was! Just do about 5-6 strips at a time, and then use your trusty weights (you know, hardback books and paint cans) to weight it down while it dries! That's all there is to it! It's easy to cut (but only for me if I use a razor blade--I cut myself with anything else!), and it's easy to do! I promise! Try it!

Oh Nutti so glad you're building the Lily too. Until recently I thought this house wasn't popular, cause I was a loner in building it. LOL I guess cause it was my first build it did not speak very loudly to me, (or I would have french doors onthe second floor like Deb :o

Does this mean other kits have pictures showing you how to connect the slots? Gee I'm still so new.

I tried to draw lines for the siding but I can't draw a straight line even with a ruler (which if you look closely at some of my pics you can tell) so I took a siding piece folded it in half and used it as a guide to place my sheets on. I used tacky glue put several rows (2-3) on then place a cardboard or extra wood pieces up against it and clamped the sucker using the door and window openings. Didn't have any trouble, just slow and easy. If a beginner can do it you will master it in no time. Plus you have the added advantage of not putting the windows in first (which I did) so you won't have to cut around them and hope it looks even.

I had a very much love/hate relationship with this house while building (see earlier posts) but I love how it turned out and hope to finish decorating it for spring in the next week or so.

If I can help in any way, just let me know--you've helped me so much and probably didn't even realize it. Most of my construction photos are still in my webshot album.

Peggi

Does this mean other kits have pictures showing you how to connect the slots? Gee I'm still so new.

Peggi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, nope. They don't. That's why the blogs help me so much!

I tried to draw lines for the siding but I can't draw a straight line even with a ruler (which if you look closely at some of my pics you can tell)  Peggi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I can't draw a straight line either! What? You mean you didn't notice that siding on the Emerson Row was crooked? It was!

Hey! Y'all are right! This is a chatty little house! But it ain't saying "pink" to me! It's saying yellow!

Primed the interior for wallpaper. First two floors only. I'm just a'paintin' away doing my little primer thing, and I'm thinking, "man! This house is gonna take a lot of wallpaper!" Can you see me drooling?

Hey! Y'all are right! This is a chatty little house! But it ain't saying "pink" to me! It's saying yellow!

Primed the interior for wallpaper. First two floors only. I'm just a'paintin' away doing my little primer thing, and I'm thinking, "man! This house is gonna take a lot of wallpaper!" Can you see me drooling?

<handing you a bib> Put this on dear before you short out your keyboard. ;) That's just so cool that you're building a Lily too! I'm telling ya, it is one seriously opinionated house! She'll tell you exactly what she wants to be and how and when and why! Yellow will be absolutely gorgeous too. She's a sunny house and the yellow will just bring out that part of her personality.

Now, we want details!! What wallpaper choices have you made? Is anything else jumping out at you yet about how you're going to build and decorate her?

Deb (happy to see so many Lilies springing to life---makes me think it's spring)

I dont think Im brave enough for the siding!

That's how I felt with the Westville, but my friend wanted it. Think shingling on steroids!

Although for the Tuscan look you mentioned the plastered effect might look better.

<handing you a bib> 

Now, we want details!!  What wallpaper choices have you made?  Is anything else jumping out at you yet about how you're going to build and decorate her?

Deb  (happy to see so many Lilies springing to life---makes me think it's spring)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the bib! No, no wallpaper choices yet. I'll get to that tonight as I look more at it and see where the staircases go in, etc. Is your Lily in the gallery? However, she has told me she wants her exterior yellow, with lilac and mint green trim. At least that's what she's said so far!

Thanks for the bib! No, no wallpaper choices yet. I'll get to that tonight as I look more at it and see where the staircases go in, etc. Is your Lily in the gallery? However, she has told her she wants her exterior yellow, with lilac and mint green trim. At least that's what she's said so far!

Your color choices will be lovely on the Lily. I can't wait to see how you build this house. You're going to have so much fun with it. I don't have pics in the gallery yet since there are so many to upload. (they're in webshots because that's where the Lily's owner can see the work in progress but I haven't gotten them over here yet). I'll try to get them transferred over here for you real soon.

Deb

my plan is to use the tissuepaper stucco look. I am using a med beige and than I am going to dry brush it with a cream color. until I have it up and done I dont know what colors I will use as trim. as for the tuscan feel I thought I might make foamcore forms ) and square colums and than use paperclay on them.....I wonder if the tissue effect would work here as well.hmmmmmm

any thoughts on that folks?

Im getting ready to do a paint effect in the foyer as my paper just wont be big enough.

I think the tissue look would work just fine. You might want to prime the foamcore & columns and then have at it. You could even leave smooth places to stencil some parget details (like a family crest-type thing or a cupid or flowers or some such) in spackle.

my plan is to use the tissuepaper stucco look. I am using a med beige and than I am going to dry brush it with a cream color.  until I have it up and done I dont know what colors I will use as trim.  as for the tuscan feel I thought I might make foamcore forms ) and square colums and than use paperclay on them.....I wonder if the tissue effect would work here as well.hmmmmmm

any thoughts on that folks?

I think you're really on to something! It sounds very light and cool and it's giving me a serious craving for some chicken vino bianco, a warm breeze and a Dean Martin album. :rolleyes: I love the color scheme of beige and cream with a stucco look. The columns will be a beautiful touch.

Deb

uuuuggggg had to put the Lily on another table until more supplies arrive....so disgusted with myself. found some beautiful paper to do the bedroom and so I did. than I had enough left over to do the hall....but dumas me! :blink: :angry:

instead of meeting the paper where it ended and covering the join with some trim(it ended just inside the bedroom door and would have looked fine) oh no! I wanted to match the pattern...hard to do when you dont make sure your paper is straight!

by the time I figured out it wasnt gonna match it had attached itself to the first paper and bad things started to happen...now I have a seam in the MIDDLE of my wall!!! ;) I am so mad at myself. but it will have to do because I love the paper and other than that it looks wonderful and when all the trim is up I think itll be really pretty. this is why I dont like the decorating!!! <_<

not happy with stucco effect either....could be the color of paint could be my mood!

nutti :blink:

my poor Lily is standing in the corner!

lol...no I just put it out of my way untill my exceeding large order from HBS comes. my wallpaper selection is dwindiling down to nothing. so I had to order more.

anyone notice how Hobby Lobby scrapbook section is being filled with more and more retro and just plain weird paper. the last 3 shopping trips there I have come home without any scrapbook paper for my drawer. so I was forced to order some.

I do have my stairs built and the front is on and all 3 floors are stained and in.

I also have the master bedroom papered. so Im making progress.

its the decorating that always drags me down to a stop.

ohh how I wish for Linda's wallpaper skills.(picking and installing)

I do have photos. but not in a file on the pooter.

ohh how I wish for Linda's wallpaper skills.(picking and installing)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just pick what's on clearance, and I pick it up whenever I can, since I know I'll need it sooner or later. When it comes to which one I put in the house though, the house usually tells me what it wants. Or, if the house is intended for someone, it is sometimes their choice.

• 6 months later...

I have again started working on the Lily and have made a tiny bit of progress

but I realised I hadnt shared in awhile.

the house is yellow and seems to want to be one of those houses you see down by the beach.

she is soooo pretty! its hard to look at it and remember all the frustrations. every piece added to her just adds to her charm.

itll be next tuesday before I work on her again but she doesnt seem to mind. its like she has to much class to complain.(snooty snif)

TTFN