Is the site acting sluggish for anyone else

Peggi

Earlier I saw the Sugarplum but now I see a teapot for Christine's avatar. It's also interesting that whatever avatar I post here shows up on the DHM forum (possibly any other IPB boards?), which is why I wouldn't use a personal picture (besides the world's not ready... :D :lol: ).

I just did a little house cleaning that I hope will help.

Deb, if your image was larger than 100 x 100 pixels, the forum software scaled it which probably trashed the animation. Try scaling it yourself before uploading. For others that are having Avatar problems, please take a look at this post.

Thanks!

Dean

Hi Deb!  Next time you run across this, try hitting ctrl-F5 for a hard refresh.  I see the cat eyes.

Thanks for the tip Dean. It was the server cache on my NT profile at work and the hard refresh fixed it. After everyone else said they saw cats eyes, I figured it was something inherent to my profile there. The .gif is 150x50 so that would be why they aren't blinking. I'll play with the sizing of it and fix that. Thanks for the help!

Deb

Dean I think I owe you an apology, last night the whole internet scene was loading so slow I finally called by cable company and had them check my connections. The only thing I know is that it is running much better today, and the tech guy said something about a "packet loss" so hopefully it is all fixed. But thanks for checking.

Peggi

Dean I think I owe you an apology, last night the whole internet scene was loading so slow I finally called by cable company and had them check my connections.  The only thing I know is that it is running much better today, and the tech guy said something about a "packet loss" so hopefully it is all fixed.  But thanks for checking.

Peggi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Packet loss. How I love that term, seems to mean your internet's slow, and we don't know why. My cable company told me that dreck for over a month, finally telling me it was my computer, before actually fessing up that the cable hub was shuffling off this mortal coil and needed to be replaced. Check how your computer is running non-internet related things, such as a wrod processor, loading pics from a digital camera etc. If that's fine it's prolly your internet provider, if that's slow, may be time to download Spybot S&D.

the tech guy said something about a "packet loss" so hopefully it is all fixed.  But thanks for checking.

Hi Peggi. Maybe I can help 'splain what the tech meant. The term "packet loss" means that there are bits of data that are not being processed correctly to your computer. When information is sent out on the internet, it's broken down into smaller "packets". The packets are split up so they can move faster thru the network, and then reassembled at your modem which translates it for your computer to read. Picture a spider web--the information is broken up into tiny pieces and sent off on different threads of the web. Each packet races along looking for the fastest way of getting to you and if they run into a bottleneck of other information or a broken thread, they'll zip off and find the next available thread and try it. Packets are really busy and somewhat hyperactive. :huh:

When they reach your network (ISP), they go thru equipment called headends and nodes, which route them to the portion of the network where your modem is connected. When the packets reach your modem, it puts them all back together and changes it into a form that your computer can read.

Packet loss means that somewhere along the trip, packets of information are being lost. (It's measured in percentages--the higher the percentage, the more information being lost) Packet loss can occur in a lot of different places. It can be lost within the isp's headends or nodes, it could be the modem, or it could be the connection between the modem and your computer (ethernet or usb cable or port, or even the network interface card in the computer) It can even be a problem with the lines going into your house. It wouldn't be a software issue such as spyware. Spyware can cause your browser or email to run slowly, but packet loss is a hardware issue, not software.

If your connection is running better now, the tech probably pushed a signal thru to it to force it to resynchronize with the network. If it continues to be a problem, call your ISP again. Tracking down packet loss in the network takes some time because it requires that the network operations department put a monitor on your connection and track it to pick up the pattern. (that's why it can take up to a couple of weeks to diagnose that there is a network problem and even longer to fix it since most of that equipment is buried underground and requires excavation to reach it which requires city permits for construction, etc). Hopefully what the tech did for you today will have resolved it, but if you see it slow down again, let them know. If it's not in the network, they can send a tech out to check the lines and your modem.

<giggling> That's probably a lot more information then you ever wanted to know about your internet connection. <scuffing toe in the dirt> I can't help it. I have to share. :)

Deb

Deb: Thanks for the info--and to my surprise--I actually understood what you meant!!!!!! They did send sometype of diagnostic program which I left running all night and sent them the info it collected. So maybe they did push the right button.

Peggi