Fairfield Stairs

Lizard

Hi,

I have started my first real dolls house (the Fairfield). I have dry fitted it and have decided that I need stairs to the 3rd floor, I have searched and looked at all houses I could find and have checked out how others have completed theirs....

My question is.... IF I decided to move the stairs downstairs to be in the front room (still running up the same wall, but beside the fireplace, they would come out on to the "back bedroom" which I was going to have as a study/palour/music room (have not quite decided). Then I was going to have the stairs for the third floor in the space that the orginal ones shold of been. (working out that they need to run the other way).

This means on the third floor I could have 2 bedrooms and a bathroom, on the 2nd floor a master bedroom and main bath.

It also gives me the ability to make the "normal" kitchen into a large lounge/familyroom by having the kitchen where most have their Dining Room, using the fireplace for a "woodstove" a panrty inunder the stairs, with the room with the stairs in it being the diningroom.

What do you think? Is it workable, real enough to look like it should be that way, or have I taken the bash too far?

What got me started is that so many people say the F/F is loverly but too small, I just want it to be a little bigger in places...So the furniture I want will fit!

Wow i'm dizzy just reading about your bash :o

The Fairfield is on my wish list so i'll be watching in anticipation :)

Get going on it and post plenty of pics!!! Sounds great :p

Linda

Thanks for the surport and advise....This is where I am up to.

1. I stained all three floors, each one came out a drifferent colour not a driff shade but a total diff, colour! I was going to carpet some of it, so it should not matter, but I'm just noting it for other peoples referance....i am also worried that I may have the same problem with the window surrounds.

2. The stairs, as per the floors, I stained the stairs wall, the side that is usually the inside of the stairs, is not very pretty, it's got marks/stains on it as if it's had mould or something on it (am not suggesting that it has), but something has marked it, and it has shown thru the stain, and the colour is not what I want, so now I am trying to decide if I should buy 2 sets if premade stairs (because of where I am putting them they will be visiable) or should I paint the stair railing etc that I already have a white/cream colour.....as well as make the second set that I need....

I can see why most people just build the fairfield!

I was thinking I should wait on the furniture that I have ordered to see how it will fit, but as it takes 6-8 weeks for an order to arrive, it could be months before I do anymore on this! SO I am going to sleep on it for another night, then decide If I just bite the bullet and do what I want or do I just stick to the plan.

I agree! Just try it! I'm never happy unless I make some big change in the scheme of a building plan. I didn't really rearrange the floorplan or stairs much, just upgraded a few things like the stair railings and porch trim/ did siding and lots of hardwood floors. I've thought of building a green house addition on the open area of the kitchen, but that'll be later.

Have fun!