recommended sites

ouchouch

So we've all bought from online, right? Tools, supplies, furniture, accessories - you name it. I've had some bad experiences with oakridgehobbies. So much that I had to cancel one order and like a dummy I placed a new order which I don't even want to get into what's happening with that.

Reason for this post, give me some good sites(besides miniatures.com) with not just "you'll find everything here" but have items in stock and customer service knows what they're talking about.

Thanks.

I've also had excellent service from DHE/ Dolls' House Emporium ( www.dollshouse.com ), they offer free shipping (from England!) on orders over US$100 (not at all difficult when you look at all the goodies they have to offer) and ship so quickly I had my order within the week I'd placed my order! I've never had to use their customer service.

The Craft Club ( www.craft-club.com ), also English, is affiliated with Ashdown, the folks who publish American Miniaturist, has recently changed their catalogue but I have had most excellent service from them, I buy the Mini Mundus furniture kits from them, they also carry Heidi Ott dolls (but had them on clearance in the last catalogue I got) and a lot of nice merchandise. Again, I haven't had to deal with customer service; when there's an order glitch THEY notify ME & then go on to fix it in a very timely manner.

Micro-Mark has a wonderful range of tools and some supplies, they're a bit pricey, but better than your small local hobby shop (because that's who my local hobby shop orders from!). I got rotary tool router bits from Widget Supply

( www.widgetsupply.com ) but I've also found them at Harbor Freight. Widget has great prices & excellent service.

www.nesm.com is Northeastern Scale Model, Inc, and they have a mini lumber yeard as well as some really nice 1:12 scale laser-cut basswood furniture kits. Claire can tell you about the 1:144 house kits they carry.

Earth & Tree, www.dollhoue-miniatures.com , also gives excellent internet service. Last year we got to visit their bricks & Morter store in Amherst, NH, and they are every bit as nice, knowledgeable & efficient as the level of service from the website led me to expect.

By no means least is http://minisontheedge.com , our own Tracy's website, I have ordered from her & received such excellent service! She has a lot of unique & unusual things, compared to other sites & shops.

There are many other sites you can check out, those are just the ones from my personal experience. Ron's in Orlando has no website, but two that do that I find it more convenient to visit the physical store are Miniature Memories in Charleston, SC, and Miniatures in the Attic in Falls Church, VA.

Basically if I have customer service issues with a supply source I won't deal with them ever again. The sole exception is HBS, the only time I ever had a problem with an order Ernie went 'way beyond expectations to make me happy again.

I hope this is enough to get you started :)

I also like minikitz.com and mainlyminis.com. There was another site I tried.. Countrystoreminiatures.com I think. They was good, but I will have to check on the name again. Some of there prices were better than HBS and some where more. I have not had to use the customer service on any of them, but they all had great responses and email time.

Yeah, Oakridge does not tell you when things are backordered... I love what I've gotten from them, but I haven't been happy with the process.

Good ordering experiences:

--BJ Minis, which is all 1:48

--Earth and Tree -- they actually answer emails!

--Kitz!

--A Miniature Marvel, but you'll pay shipping from the UK

--Ms. Jeanne's, also all 1:48

--My Mini Shop -- this is our own Tracy. I ordered something half-scale from her very early in my half-scale efforts, and it was the best experience of that particular project.

--Plastruct -- lightning fast shipping of building materials

--Suzanne & Andrew -- 1:48 again

--Van Dijk -- only accessories

I love ordering stuff from minikitz.

I've also gotten a few things from Manor House Minis https://www.manorhouseminis.com/cats.asp and been pretty happy. Here's the link for Country Store Miniatures that Shaky mentioned... http://countrystoreminiatures.com/shop/enter.html

I haven't ordered from them before but they have a great variety of stuff. There's also Cotton Ridge Designs http://cottonridge.safeshopper.com/index.htm?335

Thank you everyone for recommending. I will check them out and "window" shop this weekend. :)

Speaking of the babies, has anyone seen those poly resin babies on ebay? They're all so adorable but they seem a bit big for a 1/12 scale....anyone know?