Paper clay roof tiles

slm169

Hi and welcome to the forum! I've had good results by apply the damp clay with white glue -- I use Ailene's but I'm sure any old white glue will work. Can't wait to see what you're working on.

Hi and welcome to the forum! I've had good results by apply the damp clay with white glue -- I use Ailene's but I'm sure any old white glue will work. Can't wait to see what you're working on.

Hi Charlene,

Thank you for replying to me, I am not too sure how to actually cut the paperclay and make the roof tiles, Do i roll a sheet out and cut each tile sepaerately ar as it rolled out in one lond piece.

cheers,

sheree

Hi Sheree and welcome to our group!! I have very limited experience with paperclay, but I would think the roof tiles would almost have to be done in strips to get the effect of overlapping shingles - I would try practicing with it, and see what works best for you. It dries very quickly, so the strips seem to me the logical way as you have to work so quickly - one whole sheet of roof at one time would be a daunting task and would dry out too much to work with before you could finish. (although I know you can cover with a damp cloth when you take a break to prevent the drying out)

Not much help...sorry, but Tracy (Minis On The Edge) is really an expert on this so you could try private messaging her and ask her advice. She is very nice and always willing to help others.

Good Luck!!

Chris

Hello Sheree,

I did my tiles with paper clay (I love using it). if you want this effect this is how I did it.

post-313-1203583575_thumb.jpg

I rolled the clay out quite thinly & cut it into about half inch strips. I glued each strip onto the roof (wood or craft glue, doesn't seem to matter, but spread it evnely & thinly & only on the strip of roof you're working on or it will dry)

Before gluing the next strip I roughly marked lines for the tiles.

When I'd done a whole section of roof & the clay had dried a little, I went back & defined each tile more - some had their corners turned up a bit etc.

Then, when the whole roof is dry, you can start with the painting :)

Hope this helps.

Jackie

Hi Everyone,

Just to say thank you for all your help and tips,

Keep them comming all help is greatful,

I shall update my file soon and try and add some photo's of what i am doing

Thanks

sheree xx