Victorian furniture

rockingrammy

Hello: My Pierce is 2 inches high so far and even though I originally thought that some of you were nutty out there by saying that your dollhouse would start to talk to you....mine has started to wake me up with things to say! ha ha. I have had a wild ride surfing the internet for Victorian furniture and accessories and thought I would ask if anyone out there has found a good, middle priced, website for Victorian furniture. I love looking at the colors and various styles but they either look cheap or they are real antiques that I can't afford. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rockingrammy.

Look for two books (both by Patricia King): Making Dolls' House Furniture and Making Victorian Dolls' House Furniture. I promise you need absolutely no woodworking skills or tools, and her Major Rodeahead & family (& staff) are a hoot!

Welcome.

I've looked at the books mentioned and they are great. Check your local library - mine has a surprising number of books including these. I'm also learning about inter-library loan. Some books I'd love to purchase but it's nice to read them over before you decide.

Good luck on your furniture hunt.

I'm doing my Orchid in Victorian decor, and my budget for my house is limited....so where I have been getting most of my items is on Ebay. I usually search "dollhouse furniture lots". I just actually won a set consisting of 14 pieces in all, 2 couches with 2 matching chairs, oriental rug, fireplace, 3 upholstered chairs and one plain wooden chair, and 4 little tables....and I won it for $11.50. Not to bad. So that's what I would suggest. Also search Chrysnbon...I won a couple of those sets for a few dollars each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...cTODAY.m238.lVI

I suggest that you look at the Victorian Style you like most - there are many, for example I like Gothic Revival but there are many more - you should get/borrow a good book on the Victorian Architectural styles or look at :

http://www4.bfn.org/bah/a/archsty/index.html

I know it is Canada but it is a great tutorial.

Lisa R.

I agree with looking at all the sites to find what you like.

In my Beacon Hill, I purchased some mid-ranged Concord furniture, but then added "real" marble tops to the dresser set (made by the Blackhams).

I personally prefer some of the older/vintage stuff, so I would suggest scouring ebay frequently.

Kathy in CO