Bay windows?

Anna

Well I am way ahead of time here but I have been thinking of the haunted house kit and to change/alter one of the window openings of it to a bay window.

I am thinking sort of a french window kind of look, you know with the mirrored bottom and the window part at the top half of it so that it will be the whole wall that is a bay kind of style, like the Chantilly has.

Lots of ideas are tumbling around regarding this house while I am straightening up the craft room preparing it to be moved so I thought better ask when I remembered :D

Hugs

Anna, You could make a bay window such as you're thinking of. Make it up in cardboard until it's the way you want it & then use the pieces for patterns to make the bay out of scraps of plywood (or foamboard or whatever). HBS shows a double French door in their catalogue, with dimensions, but I didn't see a kit for a bay; because that's a fairly individualized structure you could have one cu$tom made (for the Haunted House it would probably co$t enough for three or four kits, plus shipping to Sweden :D ) I, of course, would try to make one because that's the way I am.

Good luck whatever you decide. It would look cute if you do.

It would look cute if you do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks I think so to and I am going to try the cardborad thing I think, I saw a very inexpensive french door at a "local" company, ie a mailorder one in Sweden I think it might work as the base for the window part and then I can build the base/mirrored bottom part myself. It is sure worth a try!

I am thinking of using it on the bottom left room gable so to make it extend a little further, perhaps even make it into a reading area for the bookstore.

Hmm, will have to focus on the positive thinking right now... Thank you for the suggestion that was what I needed to get the mind going again.

Hugs

Even when building a bow window (does not go floor to ceiling) cut a sample of foamcore to check the size and angles and see if it looks right. For a bow window I would use 2 casement windows and a central wider fixed picture window and then panel in the bottom angled in toward the fmain house wall. Trim oout the inside as a window seat

Ed

I think that building a bay window would be very doable. Even if you can't get things just perfect, you can always fill in gaps with wood filler and glue or even trim. Trim is my best friend!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Karen I am all with you about the trim being one of the best friends, mine is spackle :D and I always need to have a new squeeze "bottle" of it around.

One never know when it might come in handy????

Hugs

I couldn't agree with you more on the Chantilly's windows being great! And I had it in front of me when I sat there sketching on what to do with the exterior of the haunted house kit I think it was what gave me the idea to start with, but I wanted it to be divided in a panel part as well as a window part since I wanted to make soem boojshelves to along the inside of the window hence giving a shop window as well where one could display books and maps and things in as well as a little nook where one could place a comfy chair, preferrably wing back maroon leather....

Oh one can dream can't one?

And I have also taken to heart the ideas of scribing the wooden planks directly on the floor and stain as well, have put it on the wishlist so to speak, am thinking walnut maybe?

Hugs

Whatever color of stain you happen to have would probably work, Walnut gives a lovely contrast with the scribing. I throw on a pair of disposable latex gloves & grab a pice of teeshirt rag & have at it. If it's liquid stain I slap it on with a brush & immediately wipe it up, and do that until it's a color I can live with. If it's a gel stain I use the rag to daub it on & smear it around & then wipe it. I wipe with the grain of the "boards".

Once the first coat of stain is thoroughly dry I sand it if I think it needs it, repeat the stain if sanding alters the color or I just decide I want more, and when that's throughly dry (next day or so) I apply the sealer to the plywood sheets.

If I'm on a real tear (like I'll probably do with the McKinley) I'll go on and apply a coat of varnish to the floor and in a day or two sand it lightly; if necessary repeat the varnish coat & sanding until it looks flat and then hit a final polishing first with 0000steel wool and then with brown paper bag. This usually gives a lovely patina. Since I'm stitching a mini Aubusson carpet between 1:1 craft projects I shall want a lovely floor to put it on.

Since I'm stitching a mini Aubusson carpet between 1:1 craft projects I shall want a lovely floor to put it on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anu pics of the carpet? Sounds lovley, sort of like a carpet one would have severe difficulties putting things on top of :D because one wouldn't want anything to be covered.

Thank so much for the advice as well regarding the stainig procedure, I have a walnut stain as well as some others but I think a bookstore calls for walnut, dont you?

I will probably have to build the booshelves myself as well since I have this idea in my head that the shelves should go from floor to ceiling so that there is a laddee needed to reach the books in the top shelves.

WIll see what to do about the stairs as well, perhaps one could prolong the treads of the stairs so that they inself would be shelves for more books?

Back to the Aster fireplace then, I am awaiting paint to dry...

I used black walnut in my Beacon Hill and it's wonderful. It really is a beautiful stain and would look wonderful in an old bookshop, Anna! Can't wait to see pictures! :D

Anu pics of the carpet?

Not until it's more done, I only have one side completed & most of a second, it's the one shown in dark red in Pamela Warner's Miniature Embroidery for the Georgian Dolls' House. Instead of the dark red my background border color is a gorgeous pastel aqua I found along with all the other colors in a floss brand I'd never heard of, in a hole-in-the-wall craft shop in Moncton, New Brunswick. I'm stitching on a fairly closeweave linen (I alternate between a lighted visor with 3.5X magnification & a jeweler's loupe with 5X magnification).

Just now I'm doing a 1:1 Xstitch picture for a family member & making mini accessories for my pub.

So far the only pub furniture I have left to do are some barrell chairs, otherwise I have a picture to go behind the bar that I need to make a frame for, and some posters to "hang" here & there, make a scoreboard for the dartboard & hang them, and make a pillow & sheet for the Murphy bed. Then make the pub's owners and move the whole mess to its home downstairs. When it's finished & I get all those films processed I'll post pictures (if the CD will cooperate...).

I am thinking aobut the bookstore a lot (it is so much fun to paln a new proejct, knowing that y ou have the kit just awaiting) :( and Have been toying with names but so far I haven't come up with any good ones, any suggestions? As most to to say all books I have made so far are in English I feel that the name should be English as well which is why I am serching for a catchy one. I am thinking that there will be the "ordinary but rare" books in one of the rooms, and in the other room where I will put the bay window I will have the rare and supernatural ones, as well as starmaps, charts etc perhaps some crystals and that kind of things.

Hugs

When DH & I had our bookstore in Jacksonville, FL, we carried a great many scifi & fantasy books, so we called it "Book Trek" & the logo I drew for a Yellow Pages ad was a horse & travois with a stack of books on it.

Some rejects (for us) included:

Book Span

Readery

Salle de Livres

The Last Word

Hi Anna,

Please keep us updated on your progress with the bay window. The Van Buren I got has one which was added on to the front - It has come appart in 3 pieces and I set it back together for the photo I took but since it needs repair it should be easy for me to get photos of and measurements for you - would that help?

Also I'm heavily leaning toward the idea of building a bay window for the second floor to go just over the top of this one - I think I'm going to start with cardboard or foam core - maybe we could swap ideas on how to do it :(

-David

And then post your brainstorming as a bay window tutorial for the rest of us  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

David and Holly, I am going to take pics as I go along now since my camera is returned from the doctor's and is behaving itself again LOL.

I have been sketching as to how I want it to look and I think it will go together like this, now to see how large those doors I want as to see if they will be enough in themselves or if I should add some extensions to where the joint will be from the window and the wall area.

Now must stay focused on the Aste, must stay focused....

(SO that I can get moving on the haunted house quicker, I don't have room to have three houses on the go at once)

Hugs