This house is amazing

Anya

Can you imagine the work that went into each of these rooms? I wonder if the Queen ever played with it or if it was just made as a display piece?

The house even has it's own plumming and real wine in the wine cellar!

I know I wouldn't mind having the harpsichord. I think it is part of the furntiure in the Queen Mary's dolls house.

The detail is amazing.

http://www.victorianstation.com/interior.html

post-227-1135280225_thumb.jpg

I think I read somewhere that all the little cars in the garage are completely perfect down to little engines with plugs & points & the sheels turn with the steering wheels. Of course the library contains many books actually written or autographed by all the faous authors still living at the time. As I understand it, the Queen Mum could look at it, but I doubt even she was allowed to play with it :D

How cruel is that? To make a dolls house for a child that they can't even play with? :o Old royal meanies.

I would like to go and see the house one day. I know it is kept at windsor castle, but apparently you cannot take photos. I'd love to play with that house. :D

I didn't know it had it's own cars to go with it.

Queen Mary's Dollshouse is truly awesome! The craftsmanship and pride of the British tradesmen was encorporated into a piece of history, showing the stately life of royals in the early 20th century.

When the Queen Mum is mentioned, I always think of the cuddly and approachable Elizabeth, mother of the current Queen.

Queen Mary was the present Queen's grandmother, mother in law of the "Queen Mum", mother of Edward, who abdicated the throne for THAT American, Wallace Simpson. I always think of her as the Queen Dowager.

Remenber the picture of the 3 Queen's at King George's Funeral? Some people say Jackie K patterned some of JFK's funeral on that event.

The dollshouse was commissioned on the suggestion by Queem Mary to be exhibited at the British Empire Exhibition. She was around 30 at the time, so I don't know that she was particularly interested in minis?

She had sons and one daughter, Mary the Princess Royal (about 30 at that time.) Grandchildren - Queen Elizabeth wasn’t born until 1926, Margaret 1926 and Princess Alexandra 1936. Sounds as thought there weren’t many kids around who would play with the dollhouse, besides the fact that she wasn’t exactly your loving, approachable fun-loving granny!!!

I haven’t read the book, just got my info from a Google search. Probl’y more than you ever wanted to know, but I thought I’d share what I found out!

Linda McD from NOTL, Ont

Yowsers! That's a dollhouse?!?!? That bed is to die for! Wouldn't you love to have that! Thanks for the link Sunnyray!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and it's all 1/12 scale. I love that bed too. I don't think I'd vernture into the outside world ever again if I had that house. I'd probably stay in looking at it all day. :)

Brian and I were in England about two-three years ago and we were fortunate enough to visit Windsor Castle and see Queen Mary's dollhouse. :lol: It's absolutely amazing, and yes, I drooled all over the glass! :) I believe you can take pictures, we did! You just can't use a flash!

About children not playing with the dollhouse . . . I wouldn't allow my house to be played with . . . call me Mrs. Grinch, but my dollhouse is for ME, not anybody's else's fingers! :lol:

When the Queen Mum is mentioned, I always think of the cuddly and approachable Elizabeth, mother of the current Queen.

Linda McD from NOTL, Ont

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe that the Queen Mother was as cuddly as the public has been lead to believe. I read a bio on her that made her sound quite cold and calculating.

Love this house though, and it would be a dream come true to get to spend an hour alone with it just to touch and move things....and put the dollhouse children in the lift and move them up and down!!

Susanne

I don't believe that the Queen Mother was as cuddly as the public has been lead to believe.  I read a bio on her that made her sound quite cold and calculating. 

Susanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite right, Susanne, I should have put cuddly and approachable in quotes.

I agree with Minimadwoman, I am reluctant to have kids (or anyone) play with MY toys! (mostly because I know which pieces I made are likely to fall apart when moved, or even breathed on! LOL!) Besides which, I don't have any kids and don't know what to expect.

While being totally blown away by museum pieces and exhibits, and knowing that I would stand for hours looking and drooling, I kind of prefer what I have - the opportunity to see the more down to earth and warm creations crafted by members of this group. I can see myself living and loving in the houses you all have made. They have personality and more reality for me in illusion than the precision of the others. (On the other hand, maybe I'm just plain ticked that I can't make/afford those exqusite pieces!)

Sunnyray, thank you for the link and appreciate the rest of you listening to my foolish musings!

:)