paint type/brand recommendations

shelbylominac

I use those craft paints that are in the 2oz. tubes (the kind you see at Michaels, Hobby Lobby & Walmart). Any brand will do. I also use left over house paint if the color screams "Buy me" :D.

I prime after I build and I like to use kiltz spray paint.

I just can't wait to see your house! :o

If you buy a quart of basic semigloss or matt white interior latex you can tint it with acrylic paints. I get the primary acrylic paint colors in the tubes, also black, white, umber & sienna; I can mix about any tint or shade of color from there, and the white latex makes a good primer. I usually stain and then seal all the wood with a clear sanding sealer before I start removing anything from the sheets, letting each side dry flat and then sealing the other side. This minimizes warping & I don't have any problem getting woodglue to stick. Because I build primarily to sell to people for kids to play with them I reinforce the joints with staples; although the first kit I built for DGD was solely held together with Elmer's white glue & had survived constant rough play with only one window being a casualty.

I'm with Tracy on the little tubes of acrylic paint. I prefer Delta Ceramcoat because the new labels tell you whether the paint is opaque, semi-opaque, or transparent. It can be very frustrating to find the perfect shade of yellow, only to have it not go on right because it was never meant to be opaque! I'll buy Folk Art, though, for the colors.

If you buy house paint, be aware that flat paint and some brands of eggshell will retain any dirt that hits them. Semi-gloss may be a better option, or you could use spray sealer on the painted surface (before you put in windows, as the spray sealer clouds plastic -- also be wary of letting it near wallpaper).

I love-love-love spray primer! You get a usable surface fast!

I like to use Kilz spary primer on the walls prior to gluing them

I stain my floors and than I put it together.

I like to use the acrylic paint from Wal-mart and I have used semigloss paint for

the walls also...if I have it on hand. and I like to uses white house paint to mix in with bighter colors for a softer look....these should be stored in an airtight container.

nutti :D

Hi and welcome!! ;)

As you can see it's pretty much a personal preference. I like the "Americana" brand paints from Michael's or any craft store because they have richer colors. I also use just a basic interior latex primer for priming. After awhile you'll know what you like and go with that. On the exterior I just used the acrylic paint to paint my siding . . . I didn't seal or prime it first . . . maybe I goofed but it turned out pretty well!! :D I then used a matte sealer over top of that to protect it and give it a nice finish.

Good luck!