Toy Chest

molmrath

My Dad is making a really cool toy chest for my girls from a pattern we bought a while ago. (I'll try to post pics when it's all finished, probably after Christmas). He's at the point now where we need to get the piano hinge for the lid and we want to put in safety lid supports or 'soft-down' lid supports to keep the lid from slamming on the kids' fingers. Do any of you have any idea where we could find something like that?

Molmrath, I know exactly what you're talking about. I had one installed on one of my chests. Mine holds the lid up at almost any interval and doesn't let the lid go down on its own. You should be able to get one at any hardware store like Home Depot, Ace or Lowes in the hinge department.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see pictures!

Molmrath, you can check out this website. They have a whole bunch of different safety hinges, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here!

http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.asp

Look under the Toy Box Lid Supports & Hinges section.

Good Luck!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The support on the lid makes it close fairly slowly, and there's a bit of an overlap between the lid and the front of the box (I'm not sure that makes sense...) so we haven't worried too much about smashed fingers. :D

My Dad has always wanted a woodworking shop, so when he retired he jumped right in and built himself one in their backyard. The toy box is the first major project he worked on after he got it put up. I just love it.