coventry cottage

gramps

Frustration.....getting ready to assemble the first couple of walls and the tabs are a nightmare. I've had to start trimming the sides of the tabs, and still things don't look nice. I've painted the front and side walls, and with all the messing with the tabs, the paint is suffering a bit.

My hat is off to those who have posted some beautiful looking dollhouses.

Should I just trim the tabs such that the parts can go together without a tight fit and rely on the glue?

I doubt the walls would go together if I had them mounted to the main floor

Help..............

Tom

Does it seem like the tabs are too big for the slots?

I dont mess with the tabs, I lightly widen the slots bit by bit with my xacto knife. I shave off a lil at a time until I can get them to slide in. Lightly tap with a hammer too.

I had problems with my tabs not fitting too. was really getting upset, grandaughter said are you sure it the right side,,,, ( smart) it wasnt I had turned the pc. the wrong way.. :thumb:

I dont mess with the tabs, I lightly widen the slots bit by bit with my xacto knife. I shave off a lil at a time until I can get them to slide in. Lightly tap with a hammer too.

ditto ....I have found this is the best method for me as well.

Thanks for the tip about widening the slot! Duh! I never would have thought about that, have always just tried to sand the tab down to fit.

I had problems with my tabs not fitting too. was really getting upset, grandaughter said are you sure it the right side,,,, ( smart) it wasnt I had turned the pc. the wrong way.. :thumb:

I'm guessing that was Kelsey - she seems to be a born miniaturist! (Not that a miniaturist doesn't get things turned around the wrong way .... oh, you know what I mean.)

ditto ....I have found this is the best method for me as well.

this is the method that works for me....

Another important reason to dry fit before assemblying--can mark those tabs that need a little work.

If you've made the slots a little large wood putty or spackle is your friend. Great tip in this month's newsletter about putting tape behind to keep the putty from seeping through.

The tabs seem to be too LONG rather than thick. I'm sure I'll get it together OK, but I have to change my plan of build. The plywood seems to split very easily when test fitting. I'm gonna keep the wood filler industry busy. Ya'll might want to buy some stock in the company that makes it.

I'm glad my Grandaughter is only 19 mos. old.....I have plenty of time

Tom

Dry fit and tap with a hammer. Sometime the wood can be stubborn. I put a piece of wood block in between the house and the hammer so I dont do any damage..(E. Row in Blogs)

Then when you ready to glue, tap it into place and then tape, clamp, cover it with books to get it to stay the way you want!

If all else fails you can just fill in the gaps with filler.

Sitting here looking at the mess I have, I would like to be opening a brand new box so I could use what I have learned [so far] and not make all the bad choices I did. I WOULD NOT have painted anything, would NOT have "sealed" any thing until I knew the floors and walls weren't warped or were not going to warp.

It seems that "hammering" things together only makes for split edges of the plywood if you must undo the assembly.

I'LL GET IT TOGETHER, but I don't think it will look as good as I had hoped

Tom

You would be amazed what you can accomplish at the "putting on trim" stage.

While I hate to hear "oh, well, lots of factors affect your results" when that applies to something like, say, my hair coloring... there are lots of factors that affect your results. If you bought an older kit from when Greenleaf was owned by Tyco... if the kit was stored in an area that has major temperature or humidity changes... if it was shipped in a situation that subjected it to stress... you will sometimes get a kit that really fights back. And it's immensely frustrating!

But then most of the time, GL kits don't warp and require just minor trimming (though wood filler reigns eternal).

Tom, before trimming those long tabs--read ahead in the instructions--some of the tabs on the Coventry where meant to be long to help form another part of the house. Please look at the Building teams blog. If the tab is to long and sticks out and wasn't meant to be, then trim it with an exacto knife. My memory is not the best, and I did lower the second floor so a small amount of bashing took place but this house shouldn't be causing you so much trouble.

Here is the link to the building blogs. I hope it helps. It will also give you hints on how to work with troublesome areas.

I can't tell how old the kit is,...it is new to me...just got it a few weeks ago. Yes, the packaging wasn't too good, and when I opened it most of the sheets were warped. Who knew??

It has been a struggle all the way, so far. It seems that the wood might have been exposed to humidity, but not here in the desert where I live. The humidity is 12% right now..a lot different from when we lived in Mass.

My son lives in Litchfield, NH, and I think there is a Greenleaf supplier there.

Has anyone tried to fix the warp in the first floor of a Coventry Cottage by glueing some 3/4"x3/4" strips of wood to the underside right under the main front to back wall?

I'll be looking at the blogs as soon as I figure out the website and how you get around in it.

Thanks for walking me through all this.

I built a garage on my home in Mass., and designed my addition to my home there.......those were easy compared to this cottage

I'll be looking at the blogs as soon as I figure out the website

Tom, click in my previous link on the underline word Here. That will take you straight to the blogs.

I hate it for you that you are having these issues! and especially with the CC.

the only thing I can say if it helps is

"it can be fixed"

it really can! you will be amazed what spackle and wallpaper and trim can do to finish a room.

just like in real life.

sooo take a deep breath :o and rember it is suppose to be fun. your house just may need to be forced into compliance....in the end they really are happy to be built! :jawdrop:

your sweetie will just be soo happy that you built it for her to play with.

nutti :)

Tom, the only thing I can think of that might help is to wait. Do you have a place in your house where you can spread out the sheets and try to straighten them out? Like booking or laying on top of it..LOL (just kidding)

See if you lived up here (CT) I would tell you to wait until it gets a lil warmer and then the wood might be a lil more forgiving. I dont know if you have such barometric flucuations like we do here in New England.

Well, the nice thing about wood is it can be repaired. Things like glass can't be and will always show the damage. Wood can be reworked, filled, holes patched, holes made. I have taken planks of wood and steamed them till they were like spaghetti and curved them to make nifty stuff (handy for staircase rails that curve)

I'm so sorry that you have had this much trouble - well, the good news is that the next kit you build will seem like a dream to put together! The Coventry is a darling house, and your little darling will love it, and you, so much - maybe picturing the fun that you and she will have with it will help you to finish the job. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. :yes: