Art Deco dollhouse plan

mesp2k

My attempt at a half scale Art Deco dollhouse plan.

Inspired by Google Books, 1937 Popular Mechanics article: 'You Can Build This Dollhouse of plywood' go to page 114

gallery_4762_5211_82447.png

Notes:

• I'll do a paper printout to make sure I copied the dimensions correctly - so don't cut anything out yet! LOL
  • I'm suggesting the use of 1/4" quarter round molding on all the corners. If you don't use the corner molding you will have add a 1/4" or 1/2" to some of the walls.
  • You can change the window & door opening sizes & positions as you like.
  • Extra interior walls can be added where needed.
  • I placed a step/porch in front of the 2 doors because the inside floor is 1/4" higher than the base/patio.
  • I was too lazy to draw the post & cable railing. But the railing could be done as above with plexiglass, laminated mat board & thin tape for the lines/wires.
  • Like 2

I think using clear acetate for the curved walls to be a brilliant idea, and you could curve 1/8" stripwood to glue to the inside and outside to help stabilize it. Mega thanks. Hey, Pauline! You can copy these and enlarge to 1:12 in your Paint program!

• Like 2

1/4" plywood ROOF disks:
You'll need 3 of the larger one & 2 of the smaller one.

gallery_4762_5211_23440.png

EDIT: The disks looked too big on the paper model - maybe 2-1/2" & 2" radius would be better.

1/4" plywood chimney:

You'll need 3 of these laminated together.

gallery_4762_5211_6782.png

Edited by mesp2k

For those who want another view of this house, I found it in a book called The Girl Mechanic. I posted it in this thread. It has other dh and woodworking plans and ideas too.

• Like 3

For those who want another view of this house, I found it in a book called The Girl Mechanic. I posted it in this thread. It has other dh and woodworking plans and ideas too.

That's a neat little book Selkie. And the Art Deco dh images look a bit clearer :)

Tiny paper model:

gallery_4762_5211_32524.png

I'll do the curved windows @ 1/12 scale & test out different techniques...

Tappy suggested using a 2 liter soda bottle for the curved window - I think there's 3 liter bottles also :)

• Like 2

I do hope many folks decide to build this beautiful home that Mike has so artfully crafted the plans for. Thank you so much for all the hard work and so much time you have so graciously invested in this project. I appreciate it very much.

• Like 2

Wow, just WOW! Mike, this is so helpful and amazingly generous. Thank you. I pinned the old article months ago on Pinterest as a dream home. I can't believe I've just stumbled across it here on the Greenleaf Forum. I think it would look priceless in 1/16th scale although the furniture would have to be homemade. When my children receive presents I hoard the plastic that is used to keep the toys in place to use for windows - it can be quite large and also the plastic is clean and clear.

• Like 3