Murphy's wood soap

Sherry

I'm nearly ready to start bashing my Duracraft, but it's really dusty. It has a beautiful floor that needs cleaning, and I need to do the outside also. All that was ever done to this house was to put some kind of shellac or clear varnish on it.

Has anyone ever tried Murphy's soap on a house? It cleans beautifully, but I'm concerned it might leave some kind of residue that would keep my 'adobe' from sticking well, or that it would take so much water to remove it that things would warp. Any experience with this?

I would use a soft brush and good old soap and water, just be careful you do not get the house soaking wet.

When I started the rehab I am doing now it was horribly dusty. I first took a semi stiff brush and took it outside and dry cleaned it the best I could. Next I vaccumed the heck out of it. Then I used a soft brush barely damp and cleaned it some more.

When I did work for the mini shop and even for myself later on, we always used Murphy's oil soap. We did not have the rag really wet and it cleaned the natural wood and even painted wood houses very well. We used a cotton cloth (Most times an old cloth diaper) and it worked very well.

I'm hardly wise; I just don't buy specialty cleansers! My cleaning supplies are dish soap, laundry detergent, vinegar, baking soda and toothpaste. Olive oil and lemon juice makes a wonderful wood dusting/polishing solution.

I am too, about most things, Freya! What Comet won't get, vinegar will. But with the antique furniture we have, I got started using Murphy's to clean and tung oil to finish, years ago when it was cheap, and still keep it around for furniture and woodwork in the house.

Vinegar! I use it for so many things!

I did use Murphys on an old wooden chest that I wanted to paint. I scrubbed it well with a nylon brush and didn't get it toally soaked but it painted up nicely. I don't know about what stain would do since it supposedly has oil in it.

I have this picture in my mind of trying to convince DH to rinse the dollhouse off for me! Ok, Holly, maybe you'll know this, if anyone does. I looked up fabric softener/wall paper on google and it told me pretty much the same thing everyone told me here. But it said that after stripping, I would have to neutralize the wall. what do you neutralize fabric softener with....static? :p

After stripping the wall...I'm not taking wallpaper down in the nude.