What kind of house as the first?

Amarula

What kind of house would you have if you could pick one??

Its for my little girl..(to collect)

I like victorian style. My sister in law would like to order the farfield castle I think it's lovely but maybe a bit big..

And is ther somewhere I can read about the scales? (to understand them) :)

I would start with a simple, small to medium sized kit as my first build. Some members have successfully built large, complicated houses on their first try, but I think most people who start with a complicated build get discouraged and give up.

The Fairfield is pretty, but I do not recommend 1/2" scale for a little girl. The furnishings are very small and delicate, and little hands may not be able to play with it easily. There is not as large of a selection of furnishings for 1/2" as there is for 1/12" scale.

The Arthur was my first build. People often recommend it, or the Orchid. The Orchid would make a pretty little "fairytale" house.

Scales:

1:12 (standard scale) One inch in the dollhouse equals one foot in full size.

1:24 (half scale) Half an inch in the dollhouse equals one foot in full size.

1:48 (quarter scale) Quarter inch in the dollhouse equals one foot in full size.

In other words, a little girl about 3' tall in real life would be a 3" tall doll in 1:12, a 1 1/2" doll in 1:24, and 3/4" in quarter scale.

Yes, 1:12 scale it means one inch to one foot. So a room that is 10 feet by 11 feet would be ten inches by eleven inches is 1:12 scale. I have seen some metric scale OLD houses in France, but the 1:12 scale is pretty standard, even if measurements are also given in metric on the house's description. It is also the best scale for children as the smaller the things in a room the harder it is to keep from tipping them over.

If you plan to build the house yourself then a smaller one is a good idea. For a child a strong house is also good. Many parents choose houses that can be added to and improved if the child is still interested as they get older. You can look at Real Good Toy kits for examples but many other company's make these type of houses.

You also have to consider how many tools you have and how well you can use them. Most kits need very few tools to build them, though you will find that you will use more tools as you become comfortable with making changes in the design. I almost always make some changes as I go along.

If I could have any house in the world to keep my miniatures in it would be the Lawbre french country house with two side wings and a conservatory. I would still want to build it and decorate the inside myself though!

I think my favorite dollhouse is the Greenleaf Willow crest, it is not available new right now and getting hard to find. It is not big enough to hold much furniture but is is very pretty.

Im not the one to build it (thank god).

The aunt and uncle wants to buy the house and build it then i have to finish it.

How good they are with tools I don't know.

I'm not sure if my sister in law has been thinking of how the playing part I need to talk to her about that.

Again thank you for answers :)

Edited by Amarula

Anne, Dollhouses for very, very young children to play with are good if they're sturdy without "working" windows & doors that can be broken in rough play. I don't know the German manufacturer, but there is one who makes such houses along with the sturdy, chunky furniture & dolls for little hands to play with & nontoxic finishes since everything goes into the mouth for a while.

If I were building a Greenleaf kit for a very young child to play with under supervision I would sand & finish the edges with polyfilla very well, and glue 1/4" square stock into the interior corners to reinforce them, and paint everything in bright, nontoxic paint colors. Save the window & door parts, and when she is older you can carefully remove the 1/4" stock pieces, repaint and/ or paper the walls, hang the doors and make the windows & install them, and put in electricity if she wants it.

Of course, if they want to build her a Garfield, by the time they get it done she might be old enough to let her children play with it!lol

• 3 weeks later...