San Franciscan Windows

Tess11

Any tips for those of you who have gotten through the 60 pieces that make up the San Fran windows? I'm so tired of sanding them!! I would gladly have paid a bit more to have the windows preassembled!!! Sand, sand, sand. Can't wait to get those windows in!!! I even tried to enlist my kids who lasted about 5 minutes in the project. Once that's done, then it's just trim, shingles, and on to the interior. Seems like I"ll never get there though! :yes:

My advice is to read the directions for the windows several times before doing anything. They are a real pain. Definitely glue the top ones and consider gluing the bottom ones. Good luck!!

i wound up gluing in a good number of my windows in my san fran because they kept falling down. but i didn't really have a problem with the wood on my windows, they all came out really easily, and i just used a dremel to sand off the rough edges on them......

What not have opening windows? OK I think I will glue the top window in place and then do a trick like we used to do when I was young (so many hundreds of years ago!). I will take a toothpick and just hold the window open with that! Then in the wintertime I can let the window down! That'll work! Remember when we used to have to do that in the older house? You would open a window up to get some fresh air and s l o w l y it would close on its own! We had sticks holding most of the windows open! If the toothpicks are the flat kind they will blend right in with the woodwork right?

Wolfie

that is true, but since my kit was already started, i had to work with what was already done to some extent, and some of my casings didn't match up quite right on my windows, so some of them go glued in to help with the problem.....

A tip to keep the windows working. Use a soft wax crayon the color you are painting the windows on the (sanded)edges that will go under the trim and the back sides of the trim as well. Just the edges though so the glue will stick. This will keep paint from sticking and any paint that does adhere can be wiped off with a Q tip. You can lightly sand to remove it or just leave it. A bit of wax will held the windows move smoothly. I use wax or soap on the working parts of all my windows even when I use ready made.

To sand the outsides of windows abit faster, try using the sandpaper with a sticky back and stick in to a piece of wood. I hold and run the window piece across the paper instead of the other way around. One direction only and just a few strokes using light pressure will do it.

The SF I built had long wood strip that needed to be cut up to make each window. It took forever but the windows have held up for years and all still open.

Thank you for all those wonderful hints and tips Agnes! What a help that is! Cool!!!!!! As soon as I finish the Pierce I do believe I'm going to do the San Fran next! How exciting! But a lot of work too! But worth it in the long run. I'm gathering all my wallpapers and carpeting together and putting them in a box next to the kit so they will be there when I start!

Wolfie

Phew, I just finished sanding my windows. Amanda, thanks for reminding me about the dremel. That made the job go pretty fast. I did the rough ones with the dremel and then finshed off with an emery board. Now I'm ready to clean up all the dust and start painting.

Agnes, what a great idea about the crayon!!! I am so glad I read the post before I started painting. The wax is an awesome tip. Without all you guys this project would have been really hard because I don't have the experience yet. But with all your experience I can avaoid some of the mistakes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :groupwave:

There was a very old man from France that lived in the flat across from us. He made beautiful miniature furniture especailly painos and staircases. I am luck to have some pieces! :wave: I am guessing he was famous or at least know in the mini world of early 1900's, but I do not know his last name. He died suddenly, in 1986, he was over 90 years old by then. It was right after our son Ben was born. Our building turned to co-op in the late 1980's and everyone but us moved away, so no one else has lived in the building longer than we have to ask his name now. I was so careless when I was younger.

This man, called Abba by everyone, taught me so many small things to make my work faster but also neater and far more precise that I could ever have been able on my own. No matter how many books I read, nothing compairs to a live teacher.

It is actually wonderful to be able to share, though I do worry I will not explain correctly. Sometimes you do something for a long time and you forget the steps. I am trying to be careful when I explain and so far I have not posted any tips that can not be undone. If I ever do explain something that is not reversible I will include that fact in the post!

Agnes-

This is what is so special about this hobby- so much can be shared with each other when it comes up. How could anyone put everything they ever know in a book? We share with each other when the need arises. And the man that taught you so many tricks lives on through you when you share with others. It's just a beautiful thought! :wave: