Magic Masonry

Deb

In my wanderings around the 'net, I've seen some interesting work done with a product called Magic Masonry. It's caught my attention and has me considering some possibilities for external walls. I'm visualizing irregular stonework walls, not uniform brick, but it seems that the Magic Masonry may have potential for that.

Does anyone have any input and/or experience with Magic Masonry? If so, would it work on a larger scale for exterior cottage walls or is it designed for smaller pieces such as foundations and chimneys? Can the color of the "stones" be manipulated to look natural?

Deb

Please take a look in my webshots folders. This one shows me using it on a castle I built:

http://community.webshots.com/album/51501203PiRiNI

This one shows how I used it on other houses:

http://community.webshots.com/album/48816213tmLZJz

Hope this helps!! The stuff is Great!

Traci: I just loved your stonework on your Arthur. After putting on the Magic stone/block, do you hand-paint them individually with a wash or what? I am getting ready to stone my Alpine and I'm not sure whether to make individual clay stones or use the Magic system. I've never done either one. Please advise.

Thanks, Debbie

We used MagicStone on the foundation of our Beacon Hill as well as for the floor of mel's greenhouse and the path on that scene AND the path in front of our haunted house. For that one we used the stonework the color it came and added different colors with a "wash" after the stone had set up.

You CAN add a bit of paint when you mix it to give the basic stone a color and then add wash later to modify the coloring of the stonework. Leaving it LIGHTER to start with gives you more possibilites for coloring individual stones over a wider range.

Darrell

Hope this helps!! The stuff is Great!

Tracy, you rock! (sorry, bad pun) :blink: That's exactly what I was thinking of. Of course, I got totally side tracked with going thru your albums and oohhing and aaaahing. I think the term "omg, those are absolutely gorgeous!" is a huge understatement about your houses. What I have in mind for an english country cottage is similar to some of your houses. I don't hold much hope that I'll be able to do it nearly that well, but you've inspired me to try!!

I checked the company website and didn't find a retailer that carries Magic Masonry listed in Colorado. Do you know of an online source?

Deb

We used MagicStone on the foundation of our Beacon Hill as well as for the floor of mel's greenhouse and the path on that scene AND the path in front of our haunted house.

Darrell

Thank you soooooooo much Darrell! Those are great examples of the texturing and coloring that I was looking for. (I looked at the path for the haunted house from a distance......Spot was growling at me)

If I may ask one more question.........what did you use for a wash on the path?

Deb

When I first used Magic Brik was with the San Franciscan & in the instructions was a tip I since have been told originated with Tom Berkner (of Earth & Tree). Mix equal amounts of white glue (such as Elmer's) and water with your brick/ stone powder and when it's dry it's far less likely to crumble off.

OMG! Mini, I just love your stone work on your houses and the castle is to df. I have a 1985 storybook cottage (geenleaf) that I will be working on later this winter and after seeing your stone work I will be looking forward to trying it on this cottage. This has been a great post, Thanks

Vicky

With Dees Delight Magic systems, you don't add glue to it. I did use the masonry stuff from Dura Graft and with that one, you have to add glue or the stuff comes off.

Be sure to follow the instructions according to the manufacture of the product you use otherwise it may not come out right.

Like Darrell & Melissa, I add some of the paint to the mixture and then I color wash over the bricks after they dry (Can take up to a full 24hours depending on where you live).

You can buy the stuff anywhere that sells any of the stuff from Dees Delights. Before I had my own shop, the shop owner would order it for me because she never stocked the stuff. I would wait weeks for it (Did not have the internet then :blink: ).

Thank you soooooooo much Darrell! Those are great examples of the texturing and coloring that I was looking for. (I looked at the path for the haunted house from a distance......Spot was growling at me)

If I may ask one more question.........what did you use for a wash on the path?

Deb

mel just mixed differnt browns/grays/whatever colors of paint, watered down and dabbed it on haphazardly. Once she liked the look she stopped.

No plan. GRIN!

Darrell

You can buy the stuff anywhere that sells any of the stuff from Dees Delights. Before I had my own shop, the shop owner would order it for me because she never stocked the stuff. I would wait weeks for it (Did not have the internet then <_< ).

Thanks so much Tracy! I'll google it and see what I can find. I really appreciate your help!! :)

Deb

mel just mixed differnt browns/grays/whatever colors of paint, watered down and dabbed it on haphazardly.  Once she liked the look she stopped.

No plan.  GRIN!

Darrell

Now that's a procedure I can get behind! Not only will it be the perfect look, it'll be a lot of fun. Thanks for the help!

Deb