1st House So far So Good!

janinelewis

This is my first house that I built for my niece for Christmas. Besides having trouble with that "hard as a rock MDF", everything has gone well. The shingles still intimidate me, but I'll be tackling that this weekend. The left window is in and I have some touch up painting to do. I had a door knocker on the door, but my daughter had to see if it worked and it fell off! I won't be putting it back so I have to touch up the door. The inside is all done except for the ceiling. The only problem is getting it shipped to New Orleans in one piece! Any suggestons? Now I'm ready for something a little bigger.

post-1477-1183424795_thumb.jpg

That's a cute house! I suggest you put it in a box, filled with packing peanuts, or bubble wrapped tight. Insert box 1 into a 2nd one, and fill with packing peanuts again! Should keep it safe for shipping time!

What are you gonna get next, as your bigger house?

that house is adorable, nice job!

by all means, double boxes would be the way to go to keep it safe in shipment.

here is what has gotten houses safely to me:

place blocks of foam or styrofoam on the bottom and sides of the box.

fill the house with packing peanuts, then bubblewrap around the exterior to hold everything securely in place. nothing should move in there. place the house in the box.

place a block of foam or styrofoam on the top of the house inside the box, and be sure that nothing inside the box can move or shift.

close the box and seal it.

place that sealed and closed box inside a larger box, surrounded with packing peanuts so that the first box doesn't shift.

one shipper used thin pieces of wood panelling to keep the house stable inside its boxes, which was nifty.

HTH! :D