Lithograph and Mouse House

MicroJivvy

I don't which of my doll houses came first -- the lithographed fibreboard one (you know with molded plastic furniture) or Mr. and Mrs. Mouse's Tree House.

I have vague memories of the litho house, but when I look at similar houses on eBay, my heart skips a beat... in all honesty, when I dream of OWNING a house, it's one of those, not some Victorian beauty with lifelike furnishings. lol.

But the Mr. and Mrs. Mouse House -- that was my real love. I don't remember exactly what happened to it, but I remember it met some horribly tragic end and I was devastated. I kept Mr. and Mrs. Mouse for a long time after the house was destroyed, but they too have disappeared at this point.

I also remember having a terrific argument with my parents over the venerable surname "Mouse" -- I inisted on calling them "the Mouses" while my parents insisted it would be "the Mice"... I knew quite well that "mice" was the plural of "mouse", but disagreed vehemently that their NAME would be so changed in the plural.

My parents found the argument quite comical -- I, of course, was indignant at both their lack of understanding and lack of seriousness about the honorable Mouse Family. :o

>>Of course the Mouses need to keep their name straight!<<

THANK YOU. I never could understood why I was the only one who found the difference between a name and a rodent abundantly clear. :D

>> had a Tin Litho dollhouse but it was not the one with the disney room.<<

I don't think mine had a Disney room, either... they have so many adorable litho-houses on eBay that I often think I must have one, but those all end up going for more than I'm willing to pay. :o

>>I got mine in the 70s (late) from Sears<<

I was graduating from high school in the late seventies, so we probably didn't have the same one. :o

Truth be told, I don't remember enough about my litho house to have a CLUE which one I had, so anything on ebay is fair game.

LOL, I have seen some that looks similar to it but only a few times have I "found the exact one".

Truth be told, if I did find it I am not sure if I would get it. I have too many houses now as it is unbuilt hidden in the garage LOL.

I was too little at the time to remember now my very first dh, except it was fiberboard & red (brick?) & probably went to my cousins when I got the dh I do remember, which was a Keystone with a liight that plugged in. When I was in Jr highschool my mother finally got me to let her put it away by informing me I was "too old" to lay with it and should put it up for "my little girls". I had all boys & by the time I had a house I could put my dh in (in the late '60s) it had self-destructed in Mother's leaky, buggy garage.

I don't ever remember having a dolls house as a kid, my dad did build me a house made of straw (hay bales) the square ones lol....And in the seventies I was too busy going to my next rock concert :blink: , or wondering what my boyfreinds were up to ;) lol...

Of course Mr. Mouse and Mrs. Mouse were the Mouses, not the Mice. Mr. Smith and Mrs. Smith are the Smiths, not the Smythe.

The tin litho house with the Disney room is made from the most common shape of tin litho house, so the overall configuration was around for a long time. The two most common children's rooms are the ABC nursery (bright yellow and bright blue) and the tin soldier nursery (softer blue and pink, with red). There were also variations with no nursery.

I love these houses, but I went through a phase where I'd collected enough that I got sick of trying to furnish them. Within two years after I got rid of all mine -- which my mother thought I was silly for having in the first place -- she started collecting them. Go figure.

Here's the most common house in the version with the utility room and ABC nursery. She says the Disney nursery was only made from 1949 to 1951. This version came in loads of exterior colors -- I think the one I had as a kid had blue siding.

This T. Cohn house is the one my mother had as a child, and I loved it! The weird thing is, she got rid of it without telling me... and a couple years later, when I lived in Minnesota, I bought this model with the exact same two rust spots and missing shutters. I'd swear it was the same house.

Just looking at that site gives me major lust -- they're ALL SO CUTE -- but I don't have infinite space and time. Sigh.