Foundation question on the Garfield

jjacks

I finally got my foundation started when a question occured to me. When you lay out the base (#13 & #11) should the right side of the plywood be up or face down? Does it make a difference? I have already glued in about a quarter of the foundation.

If I need to I can uodo it now before it gets fully dried.

I'm not really sure what you mean. The nicer side of the wood should always face outward or facing where you will be seeing it the most.

Irene, Thanks for helping.

The very first piece you lay out flat, and the foundation pieces stand at a right angle to form the foundation. I can't quite picture how this all winds up. Jumping ahead it says to turn the foundation over on the first floor. It would seem to me that this base I'm asking abount will not be seen at all as far as I can tell. I hope this doesn't confuse the situation more.

Jeanne

Thanks Irene,

That picture really helps a lot. I have all my foundation pieces facing out, so I'm OK there. The piece I was asking about does not show at all so I guess I does not make any difference. Your pictures are worth a thousand words.

I'll bet I'm referring to them for week to come.

Jeanne

The piece I was asking about does not show at all so I guess I does not make any difference.
Actually the way the pices are cut may make a difference that won't show up until much farther along. Do you sew at all? Imagine that the plywood is like a piece of velour or corduroy material. The smoother, "nicer" side of the plywood is the side that always faces up or out; it's like the fuzzy side of the velour or corduroy, the side you would want to see even if it's on the inside, like a pocket or a facing. Unless you want to build this house as a mirror-image of itself I really think you'll be happier having all your pieces go this way, they will sand more nickes and probably need less filler.

I am currently working on the Garfield and I had some similar questions on the foundation and am not sure how the heck I did it now! I just know it worked and I don't have pictures! I'm really glad someone else got some pictures to you. I had a lot of anxiety at this step because I was so confused and pictures would have been really helpful! Good Luck! I find that I have to read and reread the instructions over and over and then play with the pieces sometimes for hours before figuring it all out. I've just finished the foundation, laying a wood floor, the downstairs staircase and closet and the second floor staircase. Spent time last night clearing my table and getting ready to begin working on R&Ping walls! Every time I begin a new step, I get the same anxiety, but once I am into the project, I relax and begin to enjoy myself!!! :p Hope you have as much fun on your Garfield! Would love to hear how it's going since I'm doing same house! Sue

Thanks Spongebob, That's the way I have it. so I'm glad I don't have to take any of it apart. Little things like this that are shown or adequately described really leave me puzzled sometimes. Thank heavens there is someplace to go to get the answers.

Jeanne

Thank heavens there is someplace to go to get the answers.

Jeanne

And you will certainly get the best answers here, that's for sure. The Garfield side steps are what brought me here over a year ago and look...I'm still here :lol: