What and when to Sand

Raggedyanne

Hello,

I am getting all of my first pieces together and I am not sure what to sand and what not to sand? I dont want to create any strange angles to misshapen areas.

Thank you for any help or advice that you can give me. :wave:

Anne

I dont want to create any strange angles to misshapen areas.

wow how much sanding you think ya need?? :p:birthday::wave:

you want to sand the edges lightly to get the snags off of it. sometimes to sand the kit floors before staining to bring out the grains. but its always "lightly" sand wherever its rough and you want a s moother board...it dossnt take much.

Happy Building

nutti :juggle:

Hey Nutti,

Thanks! As I was sitting there looking at all of the pieces, I thought I was going to have to sand each and every piece. Edges, floors and ceilings, a tiny bit of panic set in...so I walk away and came to ask a question. I feel so much better.

Thank you, Thank you!! :birthday::p:wave:

Anne...I think Nutti covered it. Any place you see a burr or splinter sticking out, you may want to lightly sand with a fine sandpaper. I usually use about a 150 grit paper. The higher the grit number , the finer the sandpaper.

I usually wait to sand until the primer or first coat of stain is on & dry. It raises the grain and accentuates the "fuzzies" that you want to sand and stabilizes the edges of the plywood. If you have to use any filler (wood putty, spackle, etc) you'll want to sand that nice & flat, too. Sometimes there's some things I'll sand first thing, but since whatever I prep I do with the wood will raise the grain, I've gotten lazy & do most of my sanding then. If I'm painting an interior wall I might also sand after the first coat of paint if the wall doesn't look smooth enough.

Hey,

Thanks everyone! I got some emery boards today. I think that I am gonna sand the edges a bit to help prevent splinters, like the one I got last night...not to bad...i have recovered :wave: Then the dry fit...then on to the next steps.

I really appreciate the help! It's nice to have folks to chat with when you are not sure :congrats:

Anne :wave: