Beacon Hill 2nd Floor Stairs

bmatson

Okay. So the instructions say that for both sets of stairs, you are supposed to have a 1/8" overlap. No problem.....sounded simple enough. Well, my 1st floor stairs had no overlap at all. But I took it for what it was and moved on.

Now that I am gluing my second stairs on top of their risers, they have an overlap alright......1/4"!!! It's like they are making up for the lack of overlap for the 1st set of stairs!!! And it looks like it's too much, too. It looks rather dumb, quite frankly.

Have any of you had that problem?? The only thing I know to do is just to sand them down, which means I would need to repaint the front skinny sides. :wave:

I don't know for sure, but it sounds as if the 1st & 2nd floor treads were maybe a slightly different size & you've got them on the wrong sets of stairs.

Could be worth looking into?

Jackie

it sounds as if the 1st & 2nd floor treads were maybe a slightly different size & you've got them on the wrong sets of stairs.
Sounds like it to me, too! This is when a Dremel is nice to have, after you take the first set of stairs apart carefully you can use the sanding drum to gently sand off the glue to go again.

Hmm. Well, you might be right....I could very well have used the wrong sets of stairs for each floor. I thought a tread was a tread was a tread!!! Apparantly I was wrong.

On the other hand, I am not all that broken hearted about it. I know that other people have had their 1st floor stairs not overlap either. Plus, it doesn't bother me anyway. And to fix the 2nd floor, all I have to do is sand them. So it's not THAT big a deal. And I would redo the 1st floor as you suggested, Holly, but I already have them inserted with the stair runner and everything. So I don't see that happening any time soon. It just seems easier just to sand the 2nd floor. :flowers:

Anyway. Thanks for your help, all.

Oh, I will be starting a blog here in the next day or so. So I am excited about that. Be on the lookout!!!

And I would redo the 1st floor as you suggested, Holly, but I already have them inserted with the stair runner and everything.
My bad, I meant my comment hypothetically, since I knew your first floor stairs were a done deal. You can use your Dremel sanding drum to sand the second floor stair treads like the first, of course, or to have the 1/8" overhang if you're not going to carpet them.

You do realize that your "oopsy" has yielded several good results. You now have proof that nothing is "unfixable" and can be made to look better than right, you have pointed out to others preparing to build the BH that the stairs are two different sizes, and you will be so ready to tackle any kit you decide to build after you "finish" the BH.

Betty,

my second floor stairs also had a slightly larger than 1/8 inch overlap, so don't worry...I did it too,lol. All I know is that I followed the instructions and removed the pieces in order on the proper sheet. But don't worry, next time, we will know better! With a stair runner on the second set, you can't really tell if the overlap is a bit larger. Lol, glad it wasn't just me :flowers:

Thanks for your words of encouragement Cathy and Holly. I will sand them down, probably with no overhang since I will be carpeting them. And thanks Holly for pointing out that my mistake is actually good?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I won't probably get around to working on my house today though. For the last month, I have been working on my house so feverishly that I have neglected other important things such as bill paying, cleaning house, husband food..........that's when you know it's bad!!! My husband told me today that he has no Jess Food and I need to get my act together and get going (in a very nice way, of course). So I am taking a rare day off to do other the other necessities of life :flowers:

Oh, and hopefully as I mentioned, I'll have my blog site up and going soon. I am putting it on my husband's server, and it is changing or rebooting..........I don't know. He told me in detail what it was, but I tuned him out because I had no clue what he was saying. That was because he didn't see the glazed look in my eye the moment he said "Okay now the problem is.............." Oh the poor dear.

Hey Betty, don't you hate it when life gets in the way of our minis! We are so "short" at work with people out with injuries, that I have had to work lots of overtime---no time for my BH, but with all that OT, I should be able to pick up some lights and chandeliers or something. There is a silver lining,lol. Just miss working on my BH!