Removing stickum from bare wood

prariegurl

I just know someone here can help me. Probably just about everyone. Seems there is a gap in my basic mini education.

I have begun working on a roombox. There was a price sticker on it, and after removing the sticker, most of the adhesive remains on the bare wood. How can I remove the sticky stuff so that I can stain the wood?

Jeri

There's a product available at most craft, hardware, and building supply stores -- pretty cheap, and useful for exactly this purpose: Goo-Be-Gone. I've found it in both a yellow and now clear. Removes the sticky from all sorts of things. It's pretty cheap, and you need only a little. I usually dab some on a cloth or even a paper towel and rub away.

If you happen to have mineral spirits (a paint and varnish remover product), that would work too.

I don't know if Goo Gone leaves a residue that would also affect the stain properties of your wood, but the mineral spirits you use to clean up after staining would be the way I'd go to get that stickum off! I had the devil's own time with label stickum residue on the last batch of baseboards I got from HBS.

you might try a teensy weensy bit of WD-40 on an inconspicuous place.

that works for all kinds of stuff. it is mostly fish oil and propellant.