Priming question

danmorin

Hi,

I am about to start my first dollhouse (Beacon Hill) and would really appreciate some help. I have a question about priming. A lot of "tip" sites say to shellac and sand all plywood before starting. Does that mean I should shellac and sand an uncut piece of playwood first and then cut out the pieces or do it after the pieces are cut out.

Thanks so much for any help,

Dan

If you are going to stain anything, like the floor or stairs do not seal or prime first. Stain and then put a couple coats of poly on. As for the rest, you can prime as you go or after it is built. ( Save the windows and trim for last) I prefer to prime and paint after I have the shell up. It is just easier for me and I feel I get a better bond with the glue. Watch out for walls behind stairs. You will want to paint/ paper those first before you glue in the stairs.

If you are going to stain anything, like the floor or stairs do not seal or prime first. Stain and then put a couple coats of poly on. As for the rest, you can prime as you go or after it is built. ( Save the windows and trim for last) I prefer to prime and paint after I have the shell up. It is just easier for me and I feel I get a better bond with the glue. Watch out for walls behind stairs. You will want to paint/ paper those first before you glue in the stairs.
what she said. I use kilz spray primer for the walls...I spray the whole house after I stain and poly the floors.

when the floors are dry I cover them and than spray the walls. inside and out.

and I also recommend...NO windows or the trim inside or out untill you have your painting done.

the window sheets are very easy to ruin. so take care of them! (do not ask HOW I know this) :giggle:

Happy Building

nutti :please: :worthy:

Dan, you might want to read over some of the other threads on this subject. Relax, there are as many different approaches to building a kit as there are builders building those kits.

When I do seal (after staining) I use a clear sanding sealer, not shellac (I'm not a great fan of denatured alcohol). If you're going to paint or wallpaper I would suggest just go ahead & prime your walls & trim, primer will seal your wood as well as the clear sealer, and flat paint makes a good primer.

After you sand you'll want to wipe down with a tack cloth before painting or papering.

We're all looking forward to your posts and pictures about building this pretty kit, several members have built or are building this kit so you'll be in good company.

Welcome to the forum, Dan.

Hi Dan, I always shellac my sheets front and back before I take the pieces out. Then when I need a piece and have taken it out, I sand it. But I think I'm in the minority. You just have to do what works best for you.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I guess I'm gonna go with the "decide as you go" option. If the next step looks like I can prime (Kilz) after the few pieces involved are put together I'll do that. If that step's configuration looks tricky to prime once together I'll prime the pieces before I assemble.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!