Wallpaper Fading

Karen99

I bought some beautiful wallpaper from the UK for my bathroom on Etsy. I bought paint to match. As I worked I kept noticing that the paper didn't seem to match the paint. It became worse and worse...
I wrote to the seller and she suggested that I had not stored the paper properly. The extra 2 sheets were in an envelope in a closet and they are fine. BUT. The dollhouse is exposed to light. She suggested covering it with a sheet I bought paper from her for 3 rooms, but I am very hesitant to use it. It looks like the sheets, while truly beautiful, are laser printed... they are 8.5 x 11 sheets as opposed to the usual  11x14 sheets I have bought which are likely printed on a press.
Thoughts and suggestions?

Can anyone recommend a reputable wallpaper source that won't fade?

I am not covering the dollhouse with a sheet!

Thanks friends!

IMG_7907.jpg

Sorry about this issue Karen. Might be an opportunity to be creative.   I added in  an accent wall for mine.  Yours can be a solid color from one of the wall paper or washed bricks like mine if you like the look. You could use single  purple sheet in another small room in the same house, maybe modify it a bit, remove the border or vertical lines for examples, ... After your have furniture in there, this will be a non issue and I think you might like this room the most since it has flare. :)   I hope this helps you with your thinking cap. 

L.

My favorite room

Back of house; The kitchen has 4 lights: closet, ceiling, fridge and kitchen hood

Edited by Luanne
  • Like 1

Hi Karen, So sorry to hear this and such a let down! I have only bought "official commercial" dollhouse wallpaper from online dollhouse (not etsy) or brick and mortar dollhouse shops fearing just what you are experiencing. I have not had any adverse reactions doing this other than mold when the she shed leaked/flooded. My houses have been inside either my RL home or the she shed with average lighting conditions. Some of the papered rooms are going on 25 years. I have recently branched out to using scrapbook paper for the more current looking designs hoping with it being acid and lignin free it will age well. I have also taken some personal designs to the local print shop to have printed & so far so good with those but it's only been a few years. There is an article on Earth and Tree's website about the longevity of inks. 

More than you ever wanted to hear I'm sure🤣

Edited by FurMama
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hi @Luanne and @FurMama,

@Luanne your house is your house is gorgeous! Thank you so much for the pix! That particular wallpaper is for a bathroom, so there won't be much furniture, and I did paint the wall a great color called "Icing on the Cake" to resemble 30s, 40s, 50s bathrooms. But I do have a fine art degree and remember fixative...so I will spray it with a matte fixative and see. I think. The second wallpaper is only a border for the kids room. So I think that should be ok. The third paper is for a wall in the living room, one papered wall among neutral-painted walls, similar to what you suggested. So the color on that paper is not so crucial.
The other wallpapers I have are from a reputable dollhouse shop, and I have a background in print. That is why I am suspicious of the 3 I bought. That Etsy seller has really fabulous designs, but  I suspect she is home-printing them on a laser printer. And her long-winded evasive answer was a turn-off. I have generally had great experiences on Etsy.

Thank you all! Pix to come.

Karen, there's not much pigment that UV can't do a number on.  if your fixative can block UV rays, it ought to be OK.  When I built my pub (Glencroft) I used black construction paper to simulate slate and it sat in the living room of the house we lived in then, and over the years the roof went from slate colored to tan!

outsidedressing the Glencroft pub

When we moved to our current house I found a small can of almost-slate paint on clearance and have painted to roof (no current photos since the one KathieB took), and it now sits in a more shaded spot.  I haven't had an issue with fading wallpaper, but I haven't used printed wallpaper.  Do test your fixative on a sample, to be sure there won't be running.

• Like 2

Hi Holly,
Your Glencroft is gorgeous!

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have the fixative yet, but yes—you are correct— I will need to be sure it is UV-resistant and doesn't run. The room the dollhouse is in is (sadly) the room that gets the least sunlight in our house. That makes it harder to work on the house. That one piece that faded so badly was my test piece, so it was out on my table off and on...

I will find a fixative, and test it. If it fades, I will find something else or deal worth it. Too bad because it's a great art nouveau pattern. It was very unusual and exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks always for your down-to-earth and tested guidance!

• Like 1

I'm sorry that happened to you - so disappointing! Covering the dollhouse with a sheet is clearly not the answer. :rolleyes:

I had a similar experience with tile paper I bought online. I blogged about it here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=14205

After that I have also been wary of buying wallpaper and I only buy name brands. I've also had trouble with wallpaper I printed myself fading, and no longer do that.

After my bad experience with the tiles, I started spraying my wallpaper with Krylon UV sealer before applying it. So far this has worked for me.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @fov Emily,

Wow! Thank you. I am going to toss that paper. And I bought Paper for 3 rooms! That is quite a story. I read it and felt great sympathy for what you had to do...there I a link called "the first time I put this shower together" and ain't that the truth!

Laser printed paper. Never again! I did buy a very sweet Peter Rabbit border, which I will spray with a UV protective fixative. I may be able to use that because its a very small part of the room.

A shame because she had very beautiful wallpapers.

Can you recommend any reputable dollhouse wallpaper companies?

Thanks for all! And apologies for the delayed reply.

Karen

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8226.jpeg