Newbie with questions

Hello everyone! My name is Jason and i'm an absolute newbie to dollhouses.  I have been tasked with restoring a project for a friend. Id like to identify what we are working with, she stated that she thought it was a Greenleaf kit. 

Its falling apart, the glue that was used has become brittle. It has been sitting in a shed for many years. There appears to be a little warping going on with the base. I definitely have my work cutout for me. I work with scale models,Trains and some light carpentry so its not completely alien to me.

I am excited about this project and getting to meet the people here.

How can I upload photos ?

Hi, welcome to the forum. A picture will help us identify it. Once you make 5 posts you'll be able to start a gallery, but in the meantime you should be able to attach photos to a post. If that doesn't work, feel free to send me the pictures in a private message (hover your cursor over my username and click "message") and I'll help you post them.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Jason.  If it's an old Greenleaf, it may have been built with hot glue, since that's what the directions used to recommend.  Hot glue isn't really suitable for wood, especially since Elmer's makes perfectly excellent Titebond wood glue.  A hair dryer or a heat gun will help you to disassemble the house, scrape off the hot glue and sand the edges so the wood glue will stick like crazy.  Masking or painter's tape and heavy duty steel staples will hold it together nicely.  For the warped parts, dampen it and lay it flat with  heavy, flat weight on top and leave it to dry.  Any remaining slight warp will probably straighten out in the rebuild.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

i having been using imgur to post photos as they are free

open a free account there do a "post" and upload your photos. then open the photo in the post and you will see a "copy link" button when you hover over it. click on the three ... next to that you and you get the option to get share links. copy the link in the BBC Code (forums) box it looks like this

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZbjBRCz.jpg[/img]

then if you remove the image tags including the [] and hit enter at the end of the line it posts it like this

ZbjBRCz.jpg

• Like 1

WOW!! That explains everything! I have been searching high and low trying to find this house. I cant believe how much was left off from the original kit. I have to find out what my friend wants the end product to look like and form a plan. I feel like I need to dismantle to the basic structure and do any repairs that are needed. Im going to try to save the siding if its possible.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and answering all of my questions!

That's a nice bash! I've always loved the Westville, and I like this too. It has good symmetry.

Welcome to the fun! You're in the right place for any questions and advice, and with your background in trains, you've got a good base to work off of. Good luck, enjoy, and keep us updated!