Which house for my niece?

Blondie

Hello, all. I really want to build a house for my niece for her 3rd birthday in April, but I can't decide. I know a few of you have made houses for the little ones, so I thought you could offer some advice.

At first I thought it would be the Sugarplum, then the Coventry Cottage, then I thought maybe I should go smaller for her first house so she can clobber it, and thought about the Primrose. Then I thought maybe I should go bigger--the Orchid, Aurthor, or Buttercup. I just can't decide! :wave: I want to start in January so I am sure to get it all done (her birthday is right at the beginning of April).

I figure since she is so small and I will have to ship it that I should probably skip siding or putting on shingles--I can some up with some other form of decoration/paint/wallpaper for that. But which house??

Any advice would be very helpful! :blink:

Plus, I did just order that Canterbury, but...wah...I'm too selfish to part with it right away. Perhaps I will give it to her when she's older. ;)

I'd vote Arthur, for several reasons:

(a) It has a simple shape, with no corners where little hands can't reach.

(:blink: It has four rooms, so you can have a complete house with bath and kitchen.

© It looks great without elaborate trim.

(d) It wraps to ship very easily, due to the simple shape. (Send it Fedex Ground. Yes, I've done this.)

(e) The rooms are large enough to hold a reasonable amount of readily available furniture -- some of the smallest cottages require a bit more judgment in buying furniture.

Shingles and siding are pretty safe to use, unless the child is likely to actively pry at them. When we packed houses to move, the 25-year-old shingles on my Batrie cottage sustained one break, and the two-year-old shingles on my Arthur none. What I'd consider omitting is the gingerbread trim, including the roof ridge trim (which is the most likely to be damaged if Fedex sets something too heavy atop the box). When I've built for a three-year-old, I've also left off the front door, but I'm not good at installing those in the first place. (What I built was the Haunted Halloween cottage, which works fine in that role, too.)

Honestly, though, I just think an Arthur is one of the best houses for a non-collector to own. It's big enough to be interesting and fun to furnish as a full conventional house, but small enough to not take over a room.

Arthur or Orchid. I just build both and I think they are very similar in size. Have just enough room to "play with". I agree don't add the roof trim, to fragile for little hands.