Greek Revival Couch, Chaise, American Empire, or ??

jaxenro

So of course I dont want to just duplicate but adapt. I mocked up what I am trying to do in paint. Mahogany and burl wood, leather upholstery, and bronze panels and feet. I crossed the original design with the Pauline Bonaparte (Napoleon's youngest sister) statue by Canova

PaNqXuv.jpg

To get this design

plItR6O.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

• 3 weeks later...

Me too. We won’t discuss cost as eight lost wax cast bronze pieces aren’t cheap, but this one is a bit special to me as it is a gift for someone

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MamaV said:

I'm absolutely floored; you're so inspiring!! Half the time when I mock up something I want to make, it ends up pretty tacky. Your work is BEAUTIFUL! 

Thank you - you are very kind. I look at it and all I see are the flaws 

so far all this really is is a box sitting on cast feet and a leather cushion. The back rest will be the tricky part but I have some ideas

So for the backrest I veneered a piece of 1/16 cherry with madrone Burl to cut the two sides from. I was struggling how to do the rounded top so I am trying to veneer a 1/4” dowel (have the veneer soaking now will soak a few days) then I had two bronze medallions made for the ends. So I will cut the two sides to match the Canova statue except will have cutouts where the dowel will rest at the top. Then I will make a filler and cover it with goatskin leather. The two sides will fit over the base cushion and fasten to the side rails on top of the bronze panels 

not sure if that makes sense but will post a photo when done 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:03 PM, jaxenro said:

So for the backrest I veneered a piece of 1/16 cherry with madrone Burl to cut the two sides from. I was struggling how to do the rounded top so I am trying to veneer a 1/4” dowel (have the veneer soaking now will soak a few days) then I had two bronze medallions made for the ends. So I will cut the two sides to match the Canova statue except will have cutouts where the dowel will rest at the top. Then I will make a filler and cover it with goatskin leather. The two sides will fit over the base cushion and fasten to the side rails on top of the bronze panels 

not sure if that makes sense but will post a photo when done 

I wish you luck, and I love the updates! 

soaked it for three days submerged in water - wrapped it around a 1/4" dowel with cloth tape until it dried - removed the tape then super glued one side to the dowel - added more glue and wrapped and pressed it around - and it didn't split at all - now to oil - sand - lacquer - and cut to length (this is oversize) 

8NJwe89.jpg