Greek Revival Couch, Chaise, American Empire, or ??

jaxenro

No just room temp. The key was the long soak and thinness of the veneer. After three or four days the wood becomes very pliable

i have seen it with balsa wood where you soak for a few days or a week and it can be pressed into a mold for model airplane fuselages

I've done it with basswood for a Victorian sofa back, but the instructions advised me to let the water come to a boil first.  I left it in for 24 hours and used rubber bands to bend it around a can the diameter of the sofa seat back, and it curved beautifully.  I used the same technique on the mansards of my Cambridge, but it wouldn't work for the piece over the front door of my Glencroft, so I'm going to trace my Lily's roof pieces onto chipboard and use that.

Wasn't there a type of Biedermeier furniture that used layers of steam bent veneer glued together to form chair backs and the like? I seem to have it in the dim recess of my brain. I am thinking Austrian or German 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 9:17 AM, jaxenro said:

So I added the backrest - sort of messed up the final bit but it is done except for a little cleanup

9NP6iME.jpg

BLz1pGo.jpg

Je78Vzy.jpg

What an exquisite piece!