The Unknown Colonial - not for long!

MamaV

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out what type of house this is. My semi-brief googling lead to a bunch of look-alikes but none identical...the big-but-few windows make it stand out from all the other Colonials out there. Is it even a Colonial? Anyway, I've found it to be relatively similar in looks to the Greenleaf Willow and Jefferson, but only barely similar (again, windows). Any ideas? I don't mind if it's a custom build or an unknown, I just want to give it a better name if possible. Thanks! 

UnknownColonialF.jpg

UnknownColonialB.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum! I have been looking at the pics of both your houses and honestly they both look quite good! Condition and construction wise,being in a barn I'm surprised there isn't more weathering. I agree with you on the roofs. I like the shingles on the Unknown but they look a wee bit large. I might try a repair in a spot or two but would redo both eventually if they were mine. Alot of the wear and tear on the Unknown looks like it could be pushed back into place secured with glue and either clamped or taped until dry. (Dollar Tree has some nifty tiny clamps in their craft section). The stairway reminds me of Artply kits. Maybe the windows were enlarged/changed/bashed when it was first built and that is why searching doesn't turn up a match. Two great houses! Have fun! 

5 hours ago, FurMama said:

Hello and welcome to the forum! I have been looking at the pics of both your houses and honestly they both look quite good! Condition and construction wise,being in a barn I'm surprised there isn't more weathering. I agree with you on the roofs. I like the shingles on the Unknown but they look a wee bit large. I might try a repair in a spot or two but would redo both eventually if they were mine. Alot of the wear and tear on the Unknown looks like it could be pushed back into place secured with glue and either clamped or taped until dry. (Dollar Tree has some nifty tiny clamps in their craft section). The stairway reminds me of Artply kits. Maybe the windows were enlarged/changed/bashed when it was first built and that is why searching doesn't turn up a match. Two great houses! Have fun! 

Hello! I'm not sure how I would redo them completely, but that's what I'm here to learn as I go along. I'll have to invest in those clamps! I remember when I was just starting with the Orchid, clamps were lifesavers. However, I used my Mom's back then, and now I need to invest in my own, haha! It's definitely possible, it was probably easy enough to bash out the center frame of the upper windows to make three big ones instead of six little ones. Who knows; for now I guess it's name remains! 

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they frequently have terrific sales, especially clamps.  When I first got started in this addiction hobby the hubs told me I couldn't have too many clamps, and if you could see my toolbox*

*Amazon.com: Harbor Freight Tool Chest

you'd see what I mean.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they frequently have terrific sales, especially clamps.  When I first got started in this addiction hobby the hubs told me I couldn't have too many clamps, and if you could see my toolbox*

*Amazon.com: Harbor Freight Tool Chest

you'd see what I mean.

Ach, I'm dreaming of having a toolbox...right now I've just got lots of little shelves or containers for big shelves.