Pierce Doors

carlthecat

Hello all. I am assembling the Pierce and I want to make the doors "work". What are my options? Please include pros and cons of each method. I want the doors to swing out and I was thinking of using little hinges but I dont like the hinge backbone on the outside. I also read about pinning the doors. How do I pin a door? Are there special pins? How do I drill holes so close to the vertex of a right angle (top corner of door opening)? If I pin the doors, do I have to mount the doors when I attach the side of the house that contains the door.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

Hi, Carl, I must have missed your intorduction in the "new members" section, so I'll welcome you here. Before someone brings it to my attention, here's where I describe how I make working doors & casement windows with chamois strip hinges.

As a former user of the wee little brass hinges, the barrel of the hinge will be on the edge of the door in the direction you want it to open. I gave up because I had such a bear of a time countersinking the "wings" of the hinges into the edge of the door and the doorframe, respectively, and getting it all to line up, and then the glue bond was so fragile I tried reinforcing it with hose wee little brass brads and the heads of the brads made the hinges bind!

I have also had great success using twill tape in place of chamois.

I've not done the Pierce, but I know the pin method wouldn't work on the Lily due to where the porch and the house met. The pin method was really easy just tedious in getting the holes to line up. I used Holly's chamois hinges on my Cabin and it was easy also. Both works and looks great.

Using hinges is a royal pain, that's what I did on the Lily, and we've already had to repair it after the GKs kept opening the door. There hard to sink and the least little thing will cause them to bend. So in the future I will use them for looks only.