Making a Fireplace Look Used

Khadi

Invest in one of those cheap little nutmeg graters from the grocery store gadget section and either a basic set of chalk pastels or a charcoal artist's pencil.  I grate a little black and gray chalk pastel and just a bit of umber/ dark brown (for the look of creosote) and use either a soft watercolor paint brush or a Qtip to rub over the parts of the fireplace I want to look used.  I also rub them together with a tissue or rag over my finger to blend them a bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Invest in one of those cheap little nutmeg graters from the grocery store gadget section and either a basic set of chalk pastels or a charcoal artist's pencil.  I grate a little black and gray chalk pastel and just a bit of umber/ dark brown (for the look of creosote) and use either a soft watercolor paint brush or a Qtip to rub over the parts of the fireplace I want to look used.  I also rub them together with a tissue or rag over my finger to blend them a bit.

Thank you.  I've heard of using charcoal but never grating it.  I'll have to try it.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:33 PM, fov said:

I've splotched on black paint using a dry brush technique, and also watered down black paint to make a wash. Here are a couple of blog posts about it:

https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=10300

https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=17861

Thank you for the suggestions.  I love the brick fireplace.