Help! - Custom flooring in RGT special addition

J_Sea

I want to do different flooring than the light prevarnished planks in the VT Jr but I might also want to add interior doors later on and so am worried about clearance. Should I sand off the varnish on the existing kit floors and then glue my own on top? Or just use card stock flooring that can be changed out later on? I want a few different flooring types- nicer looking hardwood floors, some vinyl tiles and maybe some of the card stock mini parquet. And can you paint the kit floors? Or sand then paint? Don’t want to mess this up! Thanks for any help! 

The Vermont Jr was my first house as well, and I hated those floors. This is my album for the build.  I changed the color of the existing floor because I didn't want to deal with things like you are mentioning although I only have 2 interior doors that would have been be affected now that I think about it🤔

Thanks! Your house is gorgeous and I’ve checked it out a few times. 💗

I got a wild hair and just started sanding away yesterday. I WILL figure this out 😜 hoping for a modern but colorful kitchen painted floor. I think I’ll only have the interior door on the second floor so I’ll figure it out with clearance. Will keep you all posted!

2 hours ago, J_Sea said:

I think I’ll only have the interior door on the second floor so I’ll figure it out with clearance.

Sand/trim the bottom of the door so it clears the added flooring. Easy enough to do before you hang it.

• Like 1

I grew up in a house with a linoleum floor in the kitchen; ours was a most unattractive black with white and yellow specks, but when I simulate the look in my dollhouse kitchens I go for a lot more colorful!  Unfortunately it doesn't show up in the photos!  But in my Washington farmhouse I painted the kitchen floor yellow and using an old toothbrush and my thumb I spattered green and tangerine colored paint droplets on top of the dried yellow and it gives the effect of old linoleum.

• Like 1

I found a real life kitchen I love that I think will look great in a dollhouse. Colorful but modern. The floor is painted wood that I think I can copy easily enough.  Just have to build the house first! 🤣

AF6798ED-57FC-477E-BE3E-FE2B007082ED.jpeg

FC327235-D778-494D-BE3B-BF887073ADA2.jpeg

DA2CDFC9-35CB-4177-97A6-B319599A983A.jpeg

Edited by J_Sea