Alcohol ink markers?

IndyCindy

Such a crafty bunch here  - what can you tell me about alcohol ink markers? I saw a miniature kit on Etsy that utilizes them, but I know nothing about them. How are they different from "regular" markers? What are the benefits of alcohol ink? If I buy a set, are there things to look for or to avoid? Suggested brands? 

I don’t know much about them but recently bought a set of 80 for about $30 Australian off Ebay. Much cheaper than the high end brands but do the same thing. Get a blender pen as that helps you blend the colours or feather the colour out to get different effects. I think they will be useful for so much, and many people use them to great effect.

I have seen people use them for aging (mini papers, letters, boxes, labels, etc) or to colour paper plant leaves or petals. You can also use them on fabric (eg for aging). Many people use them on teddy bears. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I have a few follow-up questions.

Do alcohol markers create more of a "wash" than a solid, opaque effect? Are they permanent on many surfaces (the way a Sharpie is), or are they best for paper/porous materials only? For example, Jess, if you're using them for stained glass, are you coloring on acrylic or plastic with them? I suppose I should just buy a set and experiment and play! :) 

They are like most markers that have some level of transparency unless you buy the paint ones. I think they will be really useful when I figure out how to use mine properly. Maybe you can buy one or two and play with them.