Paula in Canada

harmonbooks

Hi, everyone! I am located in Nova Scotia. I have been interested in miniatures for thirty odd years, and started a dollhouse many years ago that never got completed. A couple of years ago I found a dollhouse at Value Village for thirty bucks, already assembled, but needing a serious amount of TLC. Last spring, with the pandemic, I decided to tackle it. It turned out to be an Arthur. I live in a condo building, and other residents were fascinated with the progress, and said it should be put in our lobby for Christmas...which gave me a timeline! When I get five posts, I will put up pictures, but I am now attempting to kit bash a Willowcrest that I bought ten or fifteen years ago second hand off Kijiji that was already assembled. It will hopefully become a San Francisco Painted Lady!

• Like 1

Welcome Paula :wave:

I can't wait to see your houses.

Try not to get too frustrated with making an album etc, it is a real pain in the butt!  Once you are successful you will not have any problems.

Just ask, and we will help you figure it out.

Carrie

I made a fair bit of it...the food, the packaging, the bedding, shower, the artwork, books and magazines,  placemats, Xmas cards and garland, all the flooring, sofa. Pretty much anything paper, I can find images for and manipulate in Word. The pressed tin ceiling is a drawer liner painted gold from Dollarama, I did the shower stall. The dish shelves are just coffee stir sticks, the other kitchen shelves are dollar store wood garden trellis, I figured it would be cheaper than hobby store wood. And the thatch roof is actually a bathroom towel! The fridge is two dollar store wood trinket boxes put together. The dishes are all actual images of real plates. I get the highest resolution images I can find that are taken straight on, so no angle, and put them in a word document sized to proper size, printed at the highest quality, and cut out either two or three layers( one paper, two cardstock), glued together. Then I use an embossing tool and a washer to get the ridge of the plate, then three coats of clear nail polish. It's weird, because some things, I don't think twice about doing myself, but other things that I probably could do, I am quite timid to undertake. Having access to the internet makes things a bit easier to tackle, but I have no one close that I can hash out with, so it's a bit more difficult. I really want to put lighting in my Willowcrest, but the whole electrical thing is quite intimidating. I have read loads, and ordered the stuff from the internet that I think I need. Learn as I go! The Willowcrest is leaps and bounds because I am cutting holes in walls and all sorts of foolishness, lol.

I make almost everything I put into my houses.  Do you know about Kris' site:  http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/ ?  I don't bother to electrify because it doesn't do anything for me when I play with my houses, and the one house I built for someone, they didn't want it, either.  With furniture I started with kits and worked into upholstering and tufted upholstery. I wound up with a fair few 1:12 dollhouse furniture DIY books.  I really went berserk when I built my Fairfields, the furniture sets I'd bought for it were 'way too small, even thought they sere supposed to be 1:24, so I ended up scaling the projects in my books down 50% and ng my own.  The old wide polyester neckties make lovely upholstery, BTW.

I have an unbelievable amount of books, both dollhouse and just decorating related. I had decided my Willowcrest would be a Painted Lady, and about a month later I found a book about making your own Painted Lady at Value Village...I couldn't believe the serendipity! I also have an awesome book about Victorian gas lighting...love my books! I HAVE been on Kris's site. so many great tutorials. I also really like Bentley House Miniatures on Youtube, Ara is great! Along with the Painted Lady, I want to do a scratch build of the Willow Tea Room in Glasgow, and there is an incredible chandelier to recreate, and I think lighting will be important for the detail in that.