Doors in McKinley and other questions

Maximami

I am getting everything ready to tackle this project dut=ring the coming months. 

I would like working doors in my McKinley but, since the walls are much thinner than commercially available doors/frames, how do you insert doors? Do I need to get a bunch of hinges?

Now that I am ready to tackle this, I would also like to 1. change the 3rd floor by eliminating the middle low area and raising the ceiling to create 2 real rooms; 2. eliminate the protruding tower corners to open up the big 3rd floor room; 3. build a front for the house to keep out the dust.

I make any interior doors I want for my builds, and I pin-hinge them.  I trace the door opening onto a sheet of paper and use that for the pattern.  Using 1/8" X 1/4" strip wood I build a box to just fit inside the door opening, lay it on my pattern and trace around the inside.  This is the pattern for my door, which I cut from basswood.  If I'm going to keep the door plain I use 1/4" basswood; otherwise I use 1/8" and trim it with strip wood.I sand the side of the door I'm going to pin hinge to bevel the edges and finish the door.  I also prime & paint the inner surface of the box.  I set the door into the box and place it in my bench vise and use my pin vise to make a starter hole in the box and door on the bevel side of the door and gently hammer a steel dressmaker's pin into the hole.  I snip off the remaining top of the pin and hammer it flush with the top of the box and drip a tiny drop of wood glue over the pin.

I then take the door assembly and turn it upside down and put it back in the bench vise, being careful to mark the outer part of the box on the bevel side of the door the same distance from the side that I placed the first pin, and repeat the process.  When I have primed and painted or papered both sides of the wall the opening is in I run a thin bead of wood glue around the outside of the box and place it in the door opening.  Using the doorway pattern I make the door frames to fit over the sides of the box, finish them and install them.

You can use prefab doors if you want to. You just need to add wood strips to the back of the door trim to bump it out from the wall, to compensate for the walls not being thick enough. You might also have to modify the McKinley's door openings to make the door fit (you can make the hole bigger with a utility knife, or make it smaller by adding wood strips to the inside edges of the hole.