Southwestern Chair

jaxenro

So I am doing a version of a Southwestern style chair for fun and to see if I can. I am basing it on this one but will be putting my own slant on it and using what I have on hand as opposed to sourcing parts. I will be using goatskin leather, quarter sawn cherry, some bass or other wood for the slats, and steel studs. Mine will be different but hopefully capture the flavor of the original. I am also looking at using some madrone burl

nPyMZKT.jpg

• Like 2

I am having so much fun with this will post some pics tomorrow. Most of what I build lately are from the plans book and although I enjoy it, and modify it a little, the goal there is to replicate the historical accuracy to a degree and stick to the plans, this one I am just making it up as I go. I made up four legs by laminating craft sticks as a core and am veneering them on the four sides with madrone burl. Madrone, being a California/Oregon wood seems perfect for Southwest style. The stretchers are wood covered with goatskin leather and will have a row of tacks. The arms are quarter sawn cherry and extend back a little to hold the backrest at the proper angle. That's about as far as I am so far pictures to follow

Top to bottom

burl legs still needing veneer trimming. i expect the oil finish will really make the grain pop out

the leather covered stretchers one has a row of tacks the others still to do

and the leather covered seat cushion base still needs some final trimming i see

UAhYlC5.jpg

eJnGxxl.jpg

1di41pb.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 8:58 AM, jaxenro said:

So I am doing a version of a Southwestern style chair for fun and to see if I can. I am basing it on this one but will be putting my own slant on it and using what I have on hand as opposed to sourcing parts. I will be using goatskin leather, quarter sawn cherry, some bass or other wood for the slats, and steel studs. Mine will be different but hopefully capture the flavor of the original. I am also looking at using some madrone burl

nPyMZKT.jpg

Love your chair!

Coming together I need to make and add leather cushions

The oil is still a little wet here

The back has a burl panel to match the legs

I think I have enough tacks left to do a matching footstool although veneering the smaller legs will be interesting

I like to think I captured some of the southwestern "flavor" in a mission style although I am not sure how it matches up to the original

hShzhTH.jpg

6fMHsrN.jpg

DiVrClE.jpg

ohMmdFT.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 12:23 PM, jaxenro said:

I am having so much fun with this will post some pics tomorrow. Most of what I build lately are from the plans book and although I enjoy it, and modify it a little, the goal there is to replicate the historical accuracy to a degree and stick to the plans, this one I am just making it up as I go. I made up four legs by laminating craft sticks as a core and am veneering them on the four sides with madrone burl. Madrone, being a California/Oregon wood seems perfect for Southwest style. The stretchers are wood covered with goatskin leather and will have a row of tacks. The arms are quarter sawn cherry and extend back a little to hold the backrest at the proper angle. That's about as far as I am so far pictures to follow

I love the chair. Have you finished the chair based on this one? I would love to see a picture of it.

4 minutes ago, Poohsfolks said:

I love the chair. Have you finished the chair based on this one? I would love to see a picture of it.

Sorry, I just now saw the pictures of the one you were working on. I actually like it better than the inspiration chair! I like that the seat cushion looks comfy and "sat on"!

Do you have other pieces of mini furniture you have done?

1 hour ago, Poohsfolks said:

...Do you have other pieces of mini furniture you have done?

Cecile, scroll back from here through some of Joel's other posts to see some of his ieces; also check out some of his other topics to see things like his mini bound art books and the silver bowl he recently made.