Rehabbing a bungalow roof

StephPDX

Hi all! Happy to be here. I’m starting my bungalow renovation with removing the old roof shingles. They were super dusty and loose and many had fallen off. They are mostly coming off easily, though some have needed encouragement, but they have left begins glue residue. It look to b mostly woo glue but a couple tiny spot look like it may be hot glue as well. I’m planning to either just paint the roof, or use asphalt shingles or the big sheets that look like metal roofs. Do I need to remove all the glue residue first? Is the best way to do that with a sander? Thanks!

2 hours ago, StephPDX said:

Is the best way to do that with a sander?

I'd first try to pop off the lumps of glue by sliding a thin palette knife or eXacto blade under them. For the hot glue bits, warm them with a hair dryer or heat gun to soften for easier removal. If you paint the roof, then for sure sand it after you have removed the bigger lumps of glue. Paint will accentuate  the remaining bits of glue.  Asphalt shingles or metal roof sheets will be more forgiving for slight irregularities in the surface.

• Like 1

After you remove all the glue lumps/ sand/ whatever you have scores of options for roof treatments.  I'm partial to coarse grit sandpaper cut into strips of shingles, simulates asphalt shingle without the weight.  Peeling one of the flat layers off of a sheet of corrugated cardboard and cleaning off any residue yields the ripply innards which paint up nicely for a metal roof or cut into strips for a barrel-tile roof; and I have also used doubled layers of construction paper for shingles.

• Like 1