Staircase Trim Question

Blondie

I'm ready to start gluing together the staircase, but I am confused as to whether or not I'm supposed to punch out the trim? Other pieces on the staircase say discard, but this says trim. There is a box and a larger box around it. Do I punch them out or leave them in? Any ideas?

PS: I figured out why they tell you to not glue down some parts while I was putting in the 3rd floor. That would have been a BIG mess if I had actually glued the top parts. Whew!

Well, you can do whatever you want with this one. I punched out the pieces(saved them). Then I stained the staircase a dark mahogany, the reinserted the punched out pieces to give it a color contrast. Then I put polyurethane over the whole thing. I have seen it when all of the pieces are out and it looks great too. I have a friend that painted it all white.

My only suggestion is WALLPAPER FIRST!!!! You can not put up wallpaper after this thing goes in. If you want to have a runner on your stairs, do it now! You can not fit a childs hand in there to do it later.

Good luck!

I wish I had a picture to show you. I'll try to get one for you.

I punched out the trim (those boxes) and then glued them back on.

526370671qsgYdQ_th.jpg

And I agree with Sarah. PUT UP THE WALLPAPER. When I first started building the stairs that was my first question in this forum and everyone else advised me to wallpaper first. Wallpaper the bottom and middle floors where the stairs are and te front.

You can take a look at my gallery in webshots. I have a lot of pics showing how I've been putting the BH together.

Thank you for all of the replies! Yes, ouchouch, I have been sneaking into your gallery and saw this photo, but couldn't tell if you had punched them out or not. I will for sure put up any wall paper or paint before I put in the staircase. It might take me a hundred years to get the staircase together anyway! :)

I really like the contrasting colors, too. I think I want my stairs to be more of a blonde wood though, so I'm going to use the really light staining technique. Man, I love dollhouses. Who knew this secret beast was hiding inside of me all these years...?

I really like the way you've stained your staircase. I also like looking at the photos of cats in the gallery. My avatar cat (Trinity) is crazy about the Beacon Hill. She's always climbing into the living room. She has only a stump of a tail, but manages to knock a lot of things over with that little tail. She also likes to remove some of the items ... she's got her favourites.

-Susanne