Painted Ladies

hydroped

Hi everybody,

Most of you know how bad I am at choosing house colors - I'm clueless when it comes to victorians! Well I picked a couple of books this weekend and thought I'd suggest them for anyone who might be like me and not know exactly what to do with these great houses.

The first is American Victorian Archetecture - lots of pictures the only drawback is they're all in black and white :lol: but there are a lot of victorian homes with rockwork/block work on them so I thought I'd mention it anyway cause it's a cool reference for that.

The other one is America's Painted Ladies - I spent a good half hour just looking at the pictures. They have Full Color pictures of grand painted Victorian homes from Maine to California. Lots of ideas for bashing too just in seeing the different types of gingerbread trims and rooflines. It looks like these guys (Pomada, Larsen, Keister) have done about 6 books on Painted Ladies. I'm curious of the others are as good as this one. I may have to see if my library has any :thumb:

-David

Hi Peggi,

There are all kinds of roofs in the book - and all kinds of houses. Some have round turret type rooms that are castle looking, some have octagonal rooms - straight roofs, mansard roofs and one I can only describe as a reverse mansard roof. I'm sure there must be a technically correct term for and someone here knows it but I don't :thumb: Instead of curving in - it curved out! Very Unique! I love the way Mansard roofs look, not sure I'd want to make one with a reverse curve.. but it's definitely something I'll always remember seeing :D even if it was just in a book ;)

-David :lol:

Hi Tracy,

American Victorian Architecture (all B&W photos) is published by Dover but the American Painted Ladies (color photos) book says "Dutton Studio Books" which looks to be an imprint of Penguin Books.

-David

I love the way Mansard roofs look, not sure I'd want to make one with a reverse curve.. but it's definitely something I'll always remember seeing

Peggi didn't have as much fun bending her mansards for her Lily as I did for the Cambridge (note I haven't tackled the Lily yet...)

I love the Dover architecture books! What inspiration for building & bashing! Another style I'd like to try in mini is some of Frank Loyd Wright's Usonian houses, as the floors were made up of square concrete slabs, so could reproduce in scale very well.