Electrical question

peggyquade

I have never wired ceiling lights through the ceiling, to a tape run on the floor above, but I can see where it would save me from having to turn my dollhouse upside down. But, before I get started, if I wire through the ceiling to a tape run on the floor above, does it have to be hard wired? No chandelier adaptors? Thanks! Peggy

I have never wired ceiling lights through the ceiling, to a tape run on the floor above, but I can see where it would save me from having to turn my dollhouse upside down. But, before I get started, if I wire through the ceiling to a tape run on the floor above, does it have to be hard wired? No chandelier adaptors? Thanks! Peggy

No, Peggy, you can still use your twist or pin adaptors. The directions are with the adaptors -- you run wire thru the center of the adaptor to the tape run above still placing wire around the brass screws. You get the same result -- a removable chandelier.

If you don't want to wire through the floor, you might try putting the chandelier on the ceiling before you glue it into the house then you don't have to stand the house on it's head :wub:

Lighting has always been my ambition. Howsomever, the price has always been beyond what I want to pay.

The other thing, I have read so many posts about problems with connections, attachments, etc. Don't want to spend a lot of moola. I drool over lighting and lamps in dollhouses, don't get me wrong! I just want to keep my hobby affordable.

I make a lot of my stuff from scratch, or jerry-rig items. The exquisite lighting availabe just doesn't match my humble work.

I am very simple Simon - all I want I want is a light I can attach either to each corner of the room or the centre and camoflage(sp?), then make my own non-working lamps for the rest of the room.

I too am looking for options!

Thank you, Charlene! I'm glad I can still use the adaptors...the chandeliers I am putting in the big wooden dollhouse are pretty nice and I'm not sure I want them to stay there. :wub: I will try your second idea when I put my own Pierce together!

Lighting has always been my ambition. Howsomever, the price has always been beyond what I want to pay.

The other thing, I have read so many posts about problems with connections, attachments, etc. Don't want to spend a lot of moola. I drool over lighting and lamps in dollhouses, don't get me wrong! I just want to keep my hobby affordable.

I make a lot of my stuff from scratch, or jerry-rig items. The exquisite lighting availabe just doesn't match my humble work.

I am very simple Simon - all I want I want is a light I can attach either to each corner of the room or the centre and camoflage(sp?), then make my own non-working lamps for the rest of the room.

I too am looking for options!

LOL --I've seen your Buttercup and I think a crystal chandelier would be quite at home there -- it's beautiful and you do absolutely exqusite work.

Are you talking about the individual lights that have a sort of night light in them? I know a lot of project designers use those in their buildings and use different plastic cups and stuff to hide them. Never done one of those. But I would think that the strung battery-operated lights would be easy to disguise -- maybe even make bead covers for fancy lighting -- but hiding the wires might be a problem.

I'd be interested to know what sort of lighting others use besides dollhouse wiring, too!

Cir-Kit makes a couple of pin-in ceiling lights - very simple, affordable (about $6), and they plug right into the tape wire. They could provide light to the room, and you can decorate with more elaborate, non working lamps.

I'm working on my first lighting project, and I find the cost of working lamps pricey, too, particularly when you're doing a number of rooms (my house has 10). Manor House does weekly specials, and I've purchased most of my lights this way for $3 - $5 a piece. You can also hold out for a 20% coupon from HBS - they do them quite often, actually - and stock up then!

I have always wired my ceilings through the floor above using tape wire. I simply drill a holl though the floor with my Dremel or an X-Acto pin vise, then thread the fixture wires through the hole to the floor above. I glue the fixture to the ceiling, then attach the fixture wires to the tape wire.

I like using this method because I can simply paint the ceiling (BEFORE adding the ceiling fixtures), and not have to deal with hiding tape wire under ceiling paper, which does not work very well for me. I also do not need to turn my house upside down. Tape wire is easily hidden under floor covering.

Jeri

Doll house lighting can be very expensive but the results are dramatic. If you can you might try doing what I do--when people ask me what I want for christmas,birthdays [etc] I ask for something for my doll house. I also put all my ceiling lights thru the ceiling to tape on the floor above.I am currently hoping to get enough christmas giftts to light my Garfield. :santa: :holiday:

I am extremely provoked! Spent 20 min on a reply, then lost my whole message! Phooie!!! :)

I have done this before at other times - is there some way to save a draft? PBBBTTT!!!

Now, with that off my little chest, :clap:

Charlene, you are very kind.! You were reading my mind and a chandelier is in my tiny little brain, percolating around there.

Mamie, Jeri and Rebecca, tape lighting is not really an option, as I decorate before I assemble.

Adallae, I live in Canada, so Customs is a problem. (I think, never have purchased on-line)

What I am really looking for is a mini version of the touch-on battery power light, about 6' diameter for closets. ataches with double-sided tape. Now this isn't 'xactly a pipedream, as recently battery powered tea-lights have showed up on the market.

Does anyone know anything about (I think) LED lights. Take a look at Carolyn Brown's site

www.mapleleafminiatures

Prepare to be stunned! Also check out her awesome cakes!

She is blessed with a marvellous talent and a wonderful husband Robin, who if she says "can we", he makes it so. Last time I got lost trying to get the 'zact name of the lighting...ain't going there again or I' ll go up in smoke!!! Suffice to say, Carolyn created Retribution Hall, and Robin retrofitted it with lights. So it is possible.

I am lucky enough to be a member of Niagara Minis with Carolyn, and will be pinning Robin down on his techniques as soon as I get a chance! Carolyn won Best of Show at the MET show this year!