Custom dollhouse lights

SewMini

21 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Well, I have to have some of that! Off to look for a supplier that ships to Oz. :D  And it IS a sign.. but how are you going to get it into a ball?? Cylindrical pendants out of that would be nice too. :)

I've started making my wire ball light with the balls I bought. I have a drop pendant (it has a porcelain ball bulb cover) that I will slot inside it. It's outside hanging in the makeshift spray booth drying after a coat of nickel spray. I sprayed the ball too so that it matches. Probably didn't need to but you know... I think I would prefer it in a coppery colour.. but lets try this one out first... pics to follow. 

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

What about forming tulle over one of those weensy balloons for a mini "chicken wire" fixture?  Spray paint the part of the tulle covering the balloon and when it's dry, pop the balloon & pull it out.

Well, you are just full of great ideas Holly! :D  *adds tulle to miniature shopping list*

Here is my ball light. Honestly, I'm so happy with this I think I might have to rethink the entire lighting scheme of my house!:cheer:

I just used a pendant that I had in my stash, sprayed silver. (this light looks much more silver in real life). I think if you re-chained a 1:24 three arm simple chandelier and put it inside the ball it would look even cooler. But I kind of like the large ball globe. :D

IMG_2783.JPG

Edit: Please ignore the dog hair in the corner.. I just noticed it but it's unavoidable in my house lol

Edited by Samusa

12 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Bravo!!!:clap: That looks so cool!  And i like the large globe light, too.

Thank you! :thankyou:

Really though.. so simple! Just a pendant light, pre-made ball, some paint & a tiny piece of wire to attach the pendant.

So in the spirit of ball lights, I've found some craft products on eBay that people might be able to make cool lights out of.

Decorative Spheres - I think only gow bulbs would fit in these but the effect would probably be spectacular. Suggest LED's so as not to generate heat.

Blender mixer ball - these would make a large but super cool statement light. Super cheap!

Red wire balls - same balls I bought... more expensive and red but hey you can always spray paint them.

Rattan Ball string lights  - rattan ball fairy lights. Obviously need to be rewired to 12v but cute & cheap!

Charm wire cages  - little cages for the half scalers.

Ball earrings - The larger ball on these earrings might work for half scalers

Gold Wire Ball Bead - wire balls for the half scalers

Twisted Wire Earrings  - these earrings are pretty flat but I think you may be able to squeeze a gow bulb into them and they are pretty cool.

Here's some Morrocan ball (1inch) fairy/string lights that would be cute also. Here for US customers

Some bell fairy lights that would be fantastic as fancy kitchen pendants. Don't be scared by the first picture, look at the second. Remember these would be rewired with GOR or GOW bulbs. lol

7 hours ago, Samusa said:

So in the spirit of ball lights, I've found some craft products on eBay that people might be able to make cool lights out of.

Wow!  Some great finds.  Unfortunately, the ones I like best, the charm wire cages, don't ship to the U.S.!  :cry:However, now that I know what to look for, I did find these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAD-CAGE-10-Gold-plated-steel-springy-tapered-spiral-21-x-17-mm-pendant-/192108482266?hash=item2cba8eceda:g:nmgAAOSwux5YWjAL

They might work.  I like that there is a hole directly in the top for the wires.

5 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Wow!  Some great finds.  Unfortunately, the ones I like best, the charm wire cages, don't ship to the U.S.!  :cry:However, now that I know what to look for, I did find these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAD-CAGE-10-Gold-plated-steel-springy-tapered-spiral-21-x-17-mm-pendant-/192108482266?hash=item2cba8eceda:g:nmgAAOSwux5YWjAL

They might work.  I like that there is a hole directly in the top for the wires.

Those are awesome! And they don't ship to Australia!:cry:

What is with this shipping thing!... It's 2017!.... lol

11 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Those are awesome! And they don't ship to Australia!:cry:

What is with this shipping thing!... It's 2017!.... lol

2 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Shipping rules are stupid

Shipping rules really are stupid.  But bead cages--they are definitely the way to go.  I love these:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/504222885/brass-plated-stone-cage-locket-pendant?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bead%20cage&ref=sc_gallery_9&plkey=ff6a22593fc0bfb32d47f34880fb99e73a67e7b8:504222885

They don't really fit with my decor, but in a different house (say a Craftsman), they could make a stunning statement light.

4 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Shipping rules really are stupid.  But bead cages--they are definitely the way to go.  I love these:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/504222885/brass-plated-stone-cage-locket-pendant?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bead%20cage&ref=sc_gallery_9&plkey=ff6a22593fc0bfb32d47f34880fb99e73a67e7b8:504222885

They don't really fit with my decor, but in a different house (say a Craftsman), they could make a stunning statement light.

o-oh... Deborah has moved over to Etsy.. Look out! :D

It is lovely. Is that price for one charm?:eek: I guess sometimes you have to pay for what you want. ;)

12 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Oooooooh look at these. AND they are easy open. I think these would look great in my kitchen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pick-A-Pearl-Cage-Silver-Plated-Basic-Oval-Circle-Heart-Wire-Charm-18-Necklace-/152446062572?hash=item237e7e4fec:g:DFkAAOSwImRYOJly

Shipping rules are stupid

Haha... I went to look at these.... SOLD!... Hope that was you Miranda. :)

4 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Oooooooooh that is amazing. I like this one too

https://www.etsy.com/listing/253551169/2-bead-cages-bronze-wish-box-makes?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bead%20cage&ref=sr_gallery_11

I think my bedroom area is going to be much more "cluttered" than the first floor since it will be a private space. I think a hanging lantern like this in a corner next to a vanity or maybe a carved room divider would look awesome

• Like 1

What a busy thread and inspirational too! I just knew I had to give it a whirl so yesterday I found and ordered something I've been trying to source for a while........it came late today so tomorrow I'll have a play!

3 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

What a busy thread and inspirational too! I just knew I had to give it a whirl so yesterday I found and ordered something I've been trying to source for a while........it came late today so tomorrow I'll have a play!

Can't wait to see it!

11 hours ago, MikeUK said:

Wheeee! Mike has joined the madness. :cheer:

Can't wait to see what you come up with Mike, it's sure to be fabulous!

Oh, and I found my metal balls on a US website... they are a bit of a rip off though :/