Please help I won a house!!!!!

booeybooey

Hi all I was hoping for some advice I won the Glencroft & I wanted to know a couple of things.

DO I install a lighting kit WHILE building the house or when its done & do I paint & wall paper during the building or do I do it when the structure is finished??? Any tips from the experienced builders would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!

Cass in Calgary

congrats on new house!

with every builder there is a preference

please look at the Glencroft blog for many ideas about this house

to electrify the house should be together first

if not electrify than you can wallpaper and such before putting together....

some do it all after putting house together its a preference thing not a right or wrong thing.

my main suggestion for this particular house

do NOT install the outside wall next to stairs and fireplaces untill you are sure it is how you want it first

very tight area to decorate after it is together.

and ALWAYS dryfit before gluing!

Happy Building

nutti :):clap: :woot:

Oh, congratulations on your win!! The Glencroft is on my list of 'things to do'.

I'd prime everything first BEFORE doing any wiring or decorating. If you're going to electrify (and I strongly suggest you do, you won't be sorry) then do it once the house is built but keep in mind you need to fish the tape wire (if that's the method you choose) up walls to the floors above. Once that's done you can paint and wallpaper.

Good luck and I hope you'll share pictures of your progress!! :clap:

BTW, Cass in Calgary, GO OILERS GO!! from a transplanted Edmonton, Albertan! :)

Thank you to Nutti & Teresa for replying to my post The help is appreciated!!!!!!

I have found a Circut kit & a store that is close is that a recomended way of lighting??????

OOHHHH and all I halft to say about that other thing is GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol:

CirKit is the most common and it's what I've used in my houses. I'm sure there are other brand names, but in the end they're all about the same.

GO OILERS GO!!

If you are going to electrify, you have two choices, tapewire (like Circuit) or round wire. You will need some wiring experience if you are going to round wire. It's trickier, which is why I don't use it, but many people believe it is more reliable.

Circuit tape wire kits are very easy and even someone like me with no experience can do it easily. If you buy the kit with the transformer, bear in mind that you select the transformer based on the number of light bulbs that it will power, not the number of lights. Thus if you have a five light chandelierand a 16 bulb transformer, that chandelier will use nearly one third of the transformer's capacity. You can always buy the brads and wire now, and select the transformer later after you have your lights.

With either type, you will need to decide what type of lights you want and where before you wire the house. This is difficult for me to do because I never seem to be able to find the lights I want and often settle for what I can find--messes up my wiring schematic!!

The Glencroft was a fairly steep learning curve for me because I had to rethink so many of the ways I had built before. It's also one kit I'd love to build again, some day!

Ditto! We had to rethink our way of building too. Although I am not a fan of tudor style houses, while building this one, I certainly became one and I was thrilled with how it turned out.

Congrats on winning the Glencroft, it's a beautiful little house :) .

I would recommend that you go and look at Darrell's tutorial on wiring, it's very helpful :thumb: . I'm not sure how to attach a link :clap: but if you do a search you'll find it.