Black Satin Coffin

Shy Spirit

I was shopping at Liquidation World (don't know if you have them, but they do what their name implies - they liquidate other stores excess/old stock), and this caught my eye. It's a set of false lashes and false nails - really cool black nails with white tips - but that's not the best part. The box they come in is shaped like a coffin! It has a padded lid, and it's lined in red satin. I had to get it - for 99 cents how could I go wrong? I think it's too wide, really, but it's the right length. (Just under 6 1/4 inches in length, 2 inches wide at the feet, slightly wider at the head, and the widest part (shoulders?) is 3 1/4 inches and 1 6/8 inches deep.) I wish the lid was hinged, but of course the manufacturers didn't realize how important that would be to this customer! :thumb: Dare I cut one side of the lid to hinge it? Not sure if I'd mess it up. I will look through my jewellery doodads to come up with some likely hardware - silver/brass handles, etc. DD (that means Dear Daughter, right?) wants the lashes and nails - but so do I! :thumb: Any ideas on other "dressing" that it may need? :)

Oh, in case anyone wants to try and find the same, it's by the Creators of Wet n Wild. It's called "Vampira's Spell", and the brand name is Fantasy Makers.

Perhaps you could gently loosen a bit of the lining and use cloth or ribbon for the hinge, glue one long edge along the lid half and glue the lining back over it, then the lower half. Oh, and "remains", of course.

The implications of a coffin that size could be very interesting. Unless you have to have the lid open and close I'd just glue it in the position you want. And get extras if you are going to cut it. I went through 4 plastic crayons to make the intake cone on the Betty. :thumb:

Yes, why didn't I think of loosening the lining? I'm glad I asked, I was just going to cut right through it! :thumb: Thanks, Havanaholly!

I wonder how wide a coffin should be? Maybe this could be a coffin for two - a Honeymoon Hideaway! :thumb: Somehow I don't see a vampire as "well-fed" Jeri, after all, he/she only has a liquid diet! :taz: But I'll certainly bear it in mind, thanks!

Doogster, I don't think there were any extras - this is a liquidation outlet, and I only saw the one ... but it would be worth going back to check! The Hunt for the Black Satin Coffin is on!! :)

Oooh Jackie!

Thanks for the heads up :taz: I do remember seeing the Wet and Wild stuff years ago out here - Of course I don't often browse the make-up department so I have no idea if anyplace still sells the stuff locally but I betcha I'll be looking in the makeup departments now! .. It's ok really- I'm used to the weird looks :thumb: :thumb: Really don't people realize that make up is just part of mini making I mean my goodness where else can you find teeny-tiny little cookie sheets?? Hmmm? LOL

-David :)

Oooh Jackie!

Thanks for the heads up :banana: I do remember seeing the Wet and Wild stuff years ago out here - Of course I don't often browse the make-up department so I have no idea if anyplace still sells the stuff locally but I betcha I'll be looking in the makeup departments now! .. It's ok really- I'm used to the weird looks :D:( Really don't people realize that make up is just part of mini making I mean my goodness where else can you find teeny-tiny little cookie sheets?? Hmmm? LOL

-David :banana:

David, I've been cruising the Make-up department for years. Nail polish is the BEST for touching up guitars, emery boards make great sanding wands. Tamiya sell a line of weathering kits that look suspiciously like brown and grey eyeliner sets, even with the little foam applicator. BTW, they're 12 bucks a pop. The eyeliner's summink like 3 bucks.

I Googled online for casket sizes - had to search a bit to find a site with measurements. Found one that gave measurements in millimetres :D had to Google to find a converter - converted millimetres to inches, then realised I should have converted to feet - did that, and found that a regular coffin measures roughly 7' X 2' 4" X 2'. Which means that my little satin box is not as far off as I thought. (Still too wide at the widest part, but otherwise, pretty good!) :(

David, I've been cruising the Make-up department for years. Nail polish is the BEST for touching up guitars, emery boards make great sanding wands. Tamiya sell a line of weathering kits that look suspiciously like brown and grey eyeliner sets, even with the little foam applicator. BTW, they're 12 bucks a pop. The eyeliner's summink like 3 bucks.

Wow Doogster- thanks! I've used emery boards one of my mini projects before (thought not for quite a while.. come to think of it I sorta miss using them) and once I tried using real makeup on my dolls cause I read it worked well... but apparently ya have know how to to put on make up in the first place so that was a little doll disaster heheheh - poor things they looked like those Barbie make up busts after a kids been playing with it :D but it's good to know about the nail polish and eyeliner ! Next time I go to age something I think I'm gonna have to drop you a note for advice :( I guess I'll have to be less of a stranger to the make up isle. Plus it's nice to have the moral support of knowing I'm not the only guy in the world buying make-up for my dollhouse stuff :banana:

-Thanks again!

-David

With mini makeup it's best to remember "less is more". I began using powdered chalk pastels to emphasize features on my dolls' faces. Wow.

Also, a coat of clear nail enamel seals the acrylic stains on the Chrysnbon furniture really well.