Franklin Mint dollhouses

nkrenz

I have found a couple of these dollhouses but both have damage to the resin base (painted green to look like grass). Can anyone help me with information on how to repair these bases? Looks like resin has been applied to create a hard shell over hardeded spray foam. The broken resin resembles an eggshell on a hard boiled egg.

Nancy, it may depend on the extent of the damage. Can you post a photo?

My first inclination would be to use Spackle or wallboard mud / join compound to fill in the missing bit and then seal and paint it.

• Like 1

I have attached a couple of photos - I was hoping there was a resin that I could smear over the holes, let harden and then paint. Hopefully something that is no like epoxy where I have to mix 2 different components together....the easier the better!!

post-60912-0-74169900-1400263898_thumb.j

With those little nicks, I'd definitely go with the Spackle. I might mix in a little white glue to give it a slicker surface when dry. You can rub on the Spackle with your bare finger and gently blend the edges of the patch. Rub gently with a crumpled up (to soften) bit of brown paper bag when it's dry. Once painted, the patch should pretty much disappear. Your biggest challenge, as I see it, is matching the green paint!

Personally, I'd shy away from resin or other noxious fume producing chemical fillers. Aside from them being complicated to handle, I like my lungs. <Don't ask me about the time I mixed up a small can of two-part Bondo to make some repairs on a fiberglass dinghy and just a few minutes later discovered I'd created a lovely paperweight with the putty knife firmly (read: permanently) embedded.>

• Like 1

You can find spackling compound in hardware stores and in the hardware/ paint section of Wal-Mart; I've even found it at Dollar General and Family Dollar stores with the paint and picture-hanging stuff.