Rugs

Anyone got any tips for making a couple of throw rugs? I can't knit or crochet, thanks to being a lefty and just not getting it lol. I don't want to buy anything cause I know there has to be something out there that I can do.....I have my moments when I'm pretty crafty but today dosen't seem to be one of those days :thumb: I need a round one for the boys baseball room then just something to go in front of my fireplace in the living room.......nothing to fancy..... :thanks:

Saw some "rag" rugs I thought I might try some day but just haven't gotten around to ... they were braided from embroidery floss. The kind that has variegated colors works well, as it looks like different scraps of rags were joined together. After making a braid, glue it to a scrap of fabric, starting in the center, and just spiral it outward, gluing a bit at a time. You can make it round or oblong, depending on how the center is started. When it's the size you want, just tuck under the end and glue it. When the glue's dry, trim away the excess fabric.

I made a simple throw rug cut from felt, using ribbon to finish the edge and give it an interesting border. It's quick and easy if you want a rug with a simple design.

I have a book lying around, when I find it I will tell you the author!!

I bought it on Ebay, it is a book of iron-on ransfers. You iron them onto plain flock paper, supposedly available in any craft store though I have not tracked any down here in Quebec, which is why I have not got the book to hand, its in one of my 'to do' boxes. When you have ironed it onto the velour paper you simply colour it in with felt markers and it says it looks like the real thing. What I like about this book is that some of the designs are so large they would cover the floor surface wall to wall.

(When I win the haunted doll house I will make a rug in black and orange cackel cackel) :wave:

I make idiot-proof braided rugs by drawing the rug shape onto a piece of felt and threading a needle with a 6-strand piece of floss and chainstitching around & around (or back & forth) until I fill the outline, then carefully trim off the unstitched felt.

I make idiot-proof braided rugs by drawing the rug shape onto a piece of felt and threading a needle with a 6-strand piece of floss and chainstitching around & around (or back & forth) until I fill the outline, then carefully trim off the unstitched felt.

I'm all for idiot proof! :wave:

i don't really have any suggestions for rugs - still looking for rugs myself! - but i did want to suggest http://www.crochet.org/lessons/lessonl/lessonl.html - this helped my oddly ambidextrious* self immensely when i was trying to learn to crochet!

*write right handed. do everything else left.