Staining the floors in the kit....Help!

Kaijuemily

This is my first real dollhouse kit, and I have finally gotten to the point where I am going to be staining the Fairfields included wooden floors. Help! Any links would be appreciated! Should I avoid staining places where the walls will get glued in place? Pics in a couple of blogs just looked as if they just stained it all uniformly....

Any advice would be great!

I scribed the floorboards into the plywood before staining my Fairfields' floors. I don't think stain makes as much impact on the wood fibers as water-based paint, but you can always sand a little bit where you want to glue.

• 4 weeks later...

Very timely question for me. I am about to start on the Aster (as a practice run for the Glencroft) and have just purchased the stain I want to use. This is the first dollhouse I will build on my own. Twenty years ago, I built the Westville with my significant other at the time, who was an architect. We did the sanding, scoring (on floors), and staining together. I hope I remember the lessons from that effort! It's good to know there is such a supportive community here. Cheers, everyone!

Jane, don't hesitate to go introduce yourself to us in the Newcomers' Fprum. I mark the width of my "floorboards" along the edges of the floor in pencil and use a cork-backed steel ruler to line up the pencil marks and turn my utility knife upside down and "draw" along the ruler with the back of the knife point to score the "boards"; using the utility knife in this way gives me better control than back when I used to use a dental pick. A driedout ballpoint pen will also do the job. You want to press the wood fibers down to the bottom of the first layer of ply so the stain will go in to the second layer, darker, and pick out the lines; it's how I did my Glencroft's floor:

gallery_8_151_70178.jpg