Shadyside Pottery rehab

KathieB

Shearwater Pottery is one of our favorite places, Holly. I got to visit a few times before they closed the pottery works to visitors. Back in the day, Lloyd would bring his ceramics classes from Xavier U out there on field trips. It is a family business. The generation of potters that he knew well are sadly now gone. I happened to have a picture of your cicada on the monitor a while back. L recognized it as a Shearwater Pottery piece from clear across the room. :)

Oh, now you guys have gone and done it. I love the smell and feel of clay (real clay not the poly stuff) and haven't had access to a real pottery studio for quite a few years. I'm sitting here flooded with memories of throwing pots and creating sculptures and that prickly little tingle of excitement of never being quite sure of what will survive in the kiln and how the colors will turn out. Ah-h-h such wonderful times.

Lucky you! Pottery was something I always wanted to do and was never where I could. I''ve done sculpture in a couple of media, one of them an air-drying mixture of plaster, vermiculite and water; but I always wanted to play with clay, and not the "ceramics" my grandmother did.