Rugs?

Charlene

Ok, Mini Brain Trust -- I want to do an area rug to place over a hardwood floor -- this is for the room above my sportsbar (it's to be a paneled library room). I need a large oriental-style and I'm unable to find the size I need.

I know you can print out patterns on paper[backed fabric -- but has anyone done anything on thicker fabric or would linen work for a rug? I want it to look really cushy an dense. Any suggestions?

Charlene-

Have you seen my posts on Punchneedle embroidery? I love it. Very cushy and dense! It looks like a little deep pile rug. Really cute. Pretty easy to do after a little bit of practice.

I'm new at it. Haven't done any pattern printing yet. I've been experimenting. So far I've made a welcome mat with 22 count aida canvas and I'm working on a large rug for my lv rm. Plus I've done a little fiddeling with muslin .. ha ha I typed muslim first. Sorry. I'm funny in my own mind.

Anyway... I'm winging it, but I really like it and it might be your perect solution! Good luck!

Last year at the local mini show one of the sellers had a hand made oriental rug made of pulled bunka. I was really amazed at how plush and dense - and to scale it looked and it felt great too! I made a small rug using the same method - just a welcome mat but basically they're pretty easy to make - you just need to find all the colors of bunka you'll need for your pattern is all. It turns out looking quite a bit like the punch needle rug that Jamie did - only I think perhaps the punch needle rug might be a bit nicer just because it's actually punched instead of faux punched (glued bunka). I'd love to see one in person!

-David :p

Hi Wendy -- Your cross stitch is gorgeous! Tried it in the past and I'm afraid it just isn't for me -- I found it tedious so doing a rug in cross stitch is out for me :) 'Course that was in full size, so maybe I'd have the patience to do it in mini...it's a thought.

Hi Charlene,

If you're looking for something quicker than punching and easier than cross stitch you might want to try a bunka rug. They're really easy to do and I was really impressed with the results. It calls basically for bunka, tacky glue and a backing - we used interfacing. Draw your design on the backing - start from the middle - pull the bunka and press teh pulled bunka onto the glued surface. All you have to do is keep the rows close. I used a needle tool to push the pulled bunka in place with. If I could find my little rug I'd take a photo of it for you.... eventually I'm sure I'll run across it.. somwhere.. that's the problem with doing a white with flowers welcome mat when what I really wanted to do was one that was in orange and black and said "go away" and had bats on it heheheh - I really wasn't too careful with where I put the darn little thing.

-David :)

Thanks for your input, guys -- The bunka idea appeals to me -- get that deep plush effect I'm lookin' for. Never tried it, but I've got the time -- guess I'll go on-line and find the supplies.

I'm kinda enthralled with David's idea for an anti-welcome mat!!! "Go Away", huh? Toooo funny!

One suggestion is to look for color ads in decorator magazines that are the size you're looking for and when you find one you like dip a single layer of facial tissue into a 50-50 white glue and water mix and gently smooth it over the picture and let it dry; then glue it to some construction paper and flatten it until dry and cut it out.

Another is to take a cotton oriental print scarf with a border and cut the borders diagonally a bit over half the dimension you want the finished rug and then match the corners of the borders and fold it to the finished size. If you don't want to sew the seams you can glue them, and then glue it to a piece of heavier fabric.

I needlepoint mine.

Well, last night I spent over $100. on a punchneedle kit and all the tools Mary Maxim was selling to do this. I have no idea what I will need so I bought everything. This particular pattern is 5" x 7" but at least I can get some practice. I'm hoping it will be fun and I will get the hang of it quickly. Thanks for the suggestion. Wish me luck!

Y'all have a great suggestions...the scarf idea is terrific, too, thanks Holly!! I'm not sure I want to go to great lengths like needlepoint or cross stitich since this will be an 'enclosed' roombox and I'm sure my brother won't be playing with the furnishings :) It really just has to be visual. Let y'all know where I end up with this. Thanks!