Marquam Hill Manse

Josi

As some of you know, I have been working on the MHM for some time. This is a challenging build for sure. I didn't help myself either, with the changes I made. :blink:

The basic house shell went together rather easily, so I was fooled. The challenge came in with the windows. The house is made of MDF and so when I had to assemble the windows I thought the luan wood trim would not suit the appearance. I decided to upgrade the windows. The window openings are not standard sizes, so this required some sanding (some? okay a lot!) to the first floor bay window. And although I lost the beautiful large middle window, I tell myself that it is not inappropriate to have working windows on a ground floor in real life.

The second floor windows I duplicated, meaning I took the punched pieces and made them out of basswood. That way I can use the acrylic windows if I want. This seemed easy to do. I have not finished with them yet!

Now I am working on the tower. The instructions, in my opinion, were vague about positioning. And they read deceivingly easy. This is not an exact quote but.....Move the tower against the wall, mark the angle of the roof on the trim and cut....repeat with other trim. Sounds easy, right? Well, it's taken me several hours of cutting, sanding, and (my husband suggested another tool) rasping. I even solicited hubby's help because I need more rasping to bring the tower down to meet the balcony floor. I keep thinking to myself that they could have done a better job with engineering the parts and writing the instructions.

Well here is a picture of the mocked up MHM. The tower is not attached (Dave will have to help me with that when he gets home), the windows are just placed inside for the benefit of the photo, and the balcony is not secured yet. I also upgraded the spindles on the porch rail, the front door and the round window. I am not keeping this house, but intend to sell through the local mini shop on consignment.

post-318-1157645173_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...