Hello Everyone

Rita

Hi everyone

I am new here.I have never built a dollhouse,but am going to try lol.I have always been interested in them,I love everything minature.I collect Barbie dolls-probaly have 300 of them.I have ordered the Beacon Hill kit because I just loved it.It's probaly not for a beginner,and I may never get it together but am going to give it a good try!I dont know the first thing about building a house from a kit,and I mean NOTHING-ha ha so I will be needing all the help I can get.I love this wonderful forum,I have been looking around reading posts.I dont know what alot of the things mentioned in the posts mean(Tools etc)but i figure I'm going to learn in building my house.I am looking forward to meeting everyone here, and wish my kit would hurry and arrive so at least I can look it over.If i ever finish a house it will be a complete miracle!!I am really going to try though and with alot of help who knows....

Hi Rita, welcome to the forum. You are going to surprised yourself, I'm sure you will do a great job on your BH. It was my first kit as well and I haven't been able to stop since. Make sure you take lots of pictures and post them when you can and good luck on it. There are lots of people on here who have built this house so you can get lots of info if you should need it.

Wendy

Hi Rita,

The Beacon Hill is a beatiful house! I'm sure you'll love it and that you'll definitely get it put together B). Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and if you have any questions or get stumped along the way in putting it together don't hessitate to ask :blink:

-David

Hi

Thank you for the reply.I have read your posts and I looked at your website at the pics as you built this house.What a wonderful job you done!!I dont think I'll ever do as well as you--unless it's 20 years in the future lol and probaly not then!!I dont even know where to begin,I am hoping the instructions to this house are VERY simple.If there not i am in deep trouble.A friend of mine made me some handcrafted beautiful furniture,from cherry and walnut.I had really thought of ordering a finished doll house for it but then thought I'd try and do a kit which may have been a mistake.In any case I cant wait for it to arrive.It's very nice meeting you--I love your pics!!!!

Hi Rita,

The Beacon Hill is a beatiful house! I'm sure you'll love it and that you'll definitely get it put together B). Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and if you have any questions or get stumped along the way in putting it together don't hessitate to ask :blink:

-David

Hi David

nice meeting you!I know I will love the house if and when I get it put together lol.thank you so much for the welcome,I appreciate it!!

Welcome to the forum Rita. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Just take the steps one at a time and you will do great. Feel free to ask about anything you don't understand.

! WELCOME!

sounds like I did when I decided "I" would build my own dollhouse

everyone around here lol at me because Im not exactly handy.

but that was 3 yrs ago and now several houses later!

no one is lol at me anymore.

and you will do just fine.

take each step as it comes in the directions.

there are reasons the go in the order they do

2 deviations I will mention

do NOT use hot glue for the main construction

do NOT put your windows on until the decorating is finished

the acetate is horrible to clean if you get stuff on it.

read the directions at least 3 times

sometimes it helps to mark each step with a highlighter as you go

especially when there are several things to do in each step.

if you get into any trouble get in here and ASK

some one is usually around to help...day or night

your house is a big one with lots of trim

DO NOT FREAK out when you open the box

reach in grab the instructions and close it right up

have you gathered your building tools

this is a big house...do you have someplace to work on it where it can stay put

not that you cant move it when done but you dont want to move it while working on it or you could lose peices and your place.

lots to do before it comes.

Happy Building

nutti :blink:

Welcome to the forum Rita, and congratulations on the Beacon Hill! I fell madly in love with it too first time I saw it! And, you will too finish it, coz we'll help you!

Hi there

Thanks for the welcome.I will be needing all the help I can get B) nice meeting you!!

! WELCOME!

sounds like I did when I decided "I" would build my own dollhouse

everyone around here lol at me because Im not exactly handy.

but that was 3 yrs ago and now several houses later!

no one is lol at me anymore.

and you will do just fine.

take each step as it comes in the directions.

there are reasons the go in the order they do

2 deviations I will mention

do NOT use hot glue for the main construction

do NOT put your windows on until the decorating is finished

the acetate is horrible to clean if you get stuff on it.

read the directions at least 3 times

sometimes it helps to mark each step with a highlighter as you go

especially when there are several things to do in each step.

if you get into any trouble get in here and ASK

some one is usually around to help...day or night

your house is a big one with lots of trim

DO NOT FREAK out when you open the box

reach in grab the instructions and close it right up

have you gathered your building tools

this is a big house...do you have someplace to work on it where it can stay put

not that you cant move it when done but you dont want to move it while working on it or you could lose peices and your place.

lots to do before it comes.

Happy Building

Hi nutti

Thank you for the tips,I have a huge table I am going to use for my workplace.Did you find it easy doing your first house?I am not very how shall we say it"mechanicaly inclined"not good with my hands so it really will be a challenge lol.I am sure this forum will be an immense help when i get started.How long does a house like this take to build?the place i ordered it from said about 40 hrs. and I'm figuring that is with someone that knows what their doing huh?I'm glad to meet you!!

Hi and welcome. I am sure the hous ewill come out just great. Just take it slow and read the instructions. Alot of people here have built one so feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Thank you for the welcome,I really appreciate it!!nice meeting you!!

well not to scare you but 40 hours is just the build time

no paint or stain or wallpaper or electricity

the Beacon Hill is one of the longer builds...I would imagine it takes so long because of all of the trim

but than this is WHY you have fallen in love with it.

my first house was the 1/2 scale Mckinley...known as the Victorianna

and it took me about 2 weeks. it would have taken longer if I would have found this or any other forum when I first got it

yanno one of those "if I knew then what I know now" type of things

it went pretty smooth for a first timer!

My 2nd house was the Willowcrest..which I adore! it took me 3 months and I made all the furniture for it as well.

if you want this beauty to grace your home it can be done by YOU

and like Linda said...we will all help you!

nothing we like more than finishe houses and the photos that come with it B)

Welcome to the forum Rita! You're gonna love the Beacon Hill! I rescued mine from the curb on garbage day and renovated it and I absolutely love it! It's my baby! :blink:

Like Nutti said, take your time and read the instructions, follow them step by step and in no time you'll have it built and ready for the fun parts . . . decorating and furnishing!! Just a little heads up . . . I've heard that the mansard roof is the trickiest part so please be sure to ask lots of questions and we're here for you if you need to vent as well!!

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!

Welcome to the forum Rita! You're gonna love the Beacon Hill! I rescued mine from the curb on garbage day and renovated it and I absolutely love it! It's my baby! :blink:

Like Nutti said, take your time and read the instructions, follow them step by step and in no time you'll have it built and ready for the fun parts . . . decorating and furnishing!! Just a little heads up . . . I've heard that the mansard roof is the trickiest part so please be sure to ask lots of questions and we're here for you if you need to vent as well!!

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!

Hi there

I know I'll love the Beacon Hill.The roof looks tricky.It all looks pretty daunting to me lol.I am reading everything I can on the BH and looking at all the pics to familarize myself with it,It is wonderful to see what everyone has done with it.They all look beautiful,that I have seen so far!!Thank you for your reply!

One more thing that I heard too Rita (I haven't built the Beacon Hill yet--I own one, but I haven't built it), I've heard that if you plan to wallpaper the walls where the staircase are, you should do that before you put the stairs in!